Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dilemma _ VXR Vs Camry V6

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Ol mate should get a good deal. There are thousands of demos out there that 99.9% of Aussies wouldn’t be caught dead in

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll agree the Camry has a very good reputation for reliability, however the ZB has still to prove itself....

One thing to remember though is, the early years of the camry, they were an absolute abortion....Unreliable, handled like a bucket of doo doo, but to Toyotas credit, they learnt from their mistakes and rectified them..

As for Holden, it is early days for the new ZB, so no one (unless you have a magic crystal ball) can say what they will be like in the future....So go with what you like when driving them and make a judgement call which one to get, based on the time frame you wish to keep it

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The probability is that the Camry will be better built, be more reliable and have a higher resale than the Opel built Commodore.
Equally probable is that the Commodore will be a more engaging, more enjoyable drive on winding roads and generally more of a driver's car.

It really comes down to what is most important to you. Only you can decide that.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Here's a good article that compares the two...

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-co...si-sportline-new-car-comparison-review-117371

Lots of things to consider assuming you want a near new and fairly luxurious V6 engined car. I'd probably also consider Calais, RSV, sedan and wagon variants since all of these have leather (or pleather) interiors, and the Camry doesn't have Brembos or active suspension, hence comparing like with like. The wagons don't weigh a lot more than the sedans, and if you can save close to $10k up front, then this takes care of a lot of depreciation, and would permit the car to be turned over more easily in four or five years...

1. Power - both are fast enough but slower than an SS or a Stinger.

2. Drivetrain and handling - Commodore certainly better given AWD and torque vectoring and no torque steer. Although 20 inch wheels and adaptive suspension is a complicated and potentially expensive solution down the line. 18's and normal suspension on RSV or Calais makes more sense in real world. That said I'm sure a VXR would be quicker point to point if one was really flying...

3. Brakes - Commodore VXR better given Brembos.

4. Interior comfort - Commodore seats seem to be preferred to Camry, even in V6 Calais form, see below... Note Calais doesn't have under thigh extension as per RSV... Camry does look quite nice inside. Presumably you'd be looking at the Camry SL for an even match?

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/comparison-tests/holden-commodore-calais-v-vs-toyota-camry-sl-v6/

5. Cost - at this point I'd actually be aiming to bit lower, here's an example of some prices from Carsales, WA excluded as too far to travel:
- 2018 RSV sedan or wagon for $32600 driveaway with under 9000 kms
- 2018 Calais Tourer in VIC with 8100 kms for $33600 driveaway
- ZB VXR seems to be around $42k driveaway in VIC
- Camry V6 seems to be around $37k for SX or $42k for SL. Presumably you'd be wanting the SL?

6. Fuel consumption - I note that my RSV uses about 15 litres per 100 km if I do all short trips, eg. 10 km, although it falls well under 10 on long trips. I suspect the Camry would be similar however, just can't expect small car economy from a large car.

7. Resale in say 4 to 5 years time - may well be better as a percentage with Camry, but if for example buy Camry for about $40k and sell for $16k, or buy RSV or Calais for about $33k and sell for $9k, outcome would be the same, except you have an extra $7k in your super. I suspect that if you can entertain the idea of a $40k car then you can afford to turn it over in about 5 years if bought at a good price...

8. Repair and maintenance costs. I'd hate to end up replacing adaptive shocks on any car if kept long enough. Hopefully Koni or Bilstein come up with some passive replacements down the line.

9. Keeping for the long term, eg. up to 200 kkms. Hard to believe any car will be as reliable as a Toyota. And parts will likely be easier to get, although unlikely to have problems before at least 10 years either way.

10. What you actually like - if spending this sort of money it'd be worth driving all four cars and then deciding, since you may decide that you enjoy the Camry or a Calais Tourer more than the others - paper stats don't always give real world enjoyment.

So looking at all this I'd be leaning toward:
- Do you really need Brembos, adaptive shocks, 20 inch wheels, if so buy VXR, otherwise move to next line...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Commodore-2018/OAG-AD-17123989/?Cr=8

- Do you plan to keep the car for around 10 years, as opposed to around 5 years, if so buy Camry, otherwise move to next line... Not a lot around though

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Toyota-Camry-2018/OAG-AD-17155640/?Cr=0

- RSV sedan or wagon offers a good compromise of comfort and handling at 30 % off retail

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Commodore-2018/OAG-AD-16897468/?Cr=4

- Calais tourer offers a similar compromise with a little more ground clearance, and possibly slightly more comfort oriented suspension.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Holden-Calais-2018/OAG-AD-17097684/?Cr=1

If you're within striking distance of Melbourne you could visit Brighton Holden in Elsternwick who seem to have all of the cars mentioned except the Camry and drive one of each. Then just buy the one you like best, or the one that offers most bang for buck. I didn't end up buying from them given paint color and locality at the time, but Matt Galea was a good salesman to deal with. He's not a mate or anything, was just helpful.

Top post. Might as well test drive a Stinger too.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
If you belong to a bowls club buy the tojo. Serious though I think the rsv is a better buy than the vxr as you will save about about 9 grand .I've had my rsv since April last year and no issues keep in mind that the Aussies did the suspension design and engineering work on the rs.rsv.vxr it's a solid well designed car you won't have issues with it.as for resale well no one can predict the future.the way the automotive world is going we won't have sedans in the not to distant future just twin cabs and suvs.

ham1748

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
Here's a good article that compares the two...

6. Fuel consumption - I note that my RSV uses about 15 litres per 100 km if I do all short trips, eg. 10 km, although it falls well under 10 on long trips. I suspect the Camry would be similar however, just can't expect small car economy from a large car.
whats the real life fuel consumption for ZB? 15L per 100 km on short trip also sound not so okay, i was thinking getting one for daily drive around 15km each way everyday, mostly town driving

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
11.3 L / 100 km's in my Calais V and that's with 90% short trips.
I drove the Camry before deciding on my Calais V. Camry is not a bad bit of kit and does most things quite well and looks okay too especially from the front. Handling in the Commodore is significantly better. The 8 speed auto in the Camry has been copping some negativity in forums and is far from the last word in modern cars. 9 Speed auto in the Commodore is generally an excellent bit of kit but can sometimes be found wanting under pressure when kicking down as it struggles to work out which gear to kick down too.

Commodore a very good bit of kit and there's not much about it another 65 kw's wouldn't fix.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
11.3 is not great figures since my 94 ute gets about 11.5 - 12, depending if the tonneau cover is on or not, on my way to work some of that is city driving. I would have thought it should be somewhere below 10 by today's standards.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Comparing apples with oranges isn't especially relevant. Best to go off the ADR figure and add anything from 0-30% depending on driving conditions, length of drive, topography of the land, load carried e.t.c.e.t.c.
We live in an extremely hilly area and many trips are just 2.3 km's to go the local cafe's, supermarket or do other shopping but all trips regardless of length start with a 600 ft altitude climb. I think in that context 11.3 average is pretty good.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How are you working out those figures? I honestly would have thought a car that is probably heavier and 25 years older would be no comparison in fuel wise to a ZB V6. You sure the economy is what it is? My drive home, mostly windy highway is below 11 and it is hills all the way. I live 300m above sea level and climb to nearly 400m on my way home. I test my figures using the full to the top of the neck drive 200km and refill. So I know my figures are accurate. Not having a go at the ZB, just I would have thought economy should be far better than an old bus like mine? It's just I thought car manufacturers were supposed to improve economy over the long-term, newer models and it seems as if they have not, which I don't get?