Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dilemma _ VXR Vs Camry V6

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
Tried to talk misses out of buying a RSV(my last 4 cars have been commodores and still have 2 of them)
She didn’t listen and got one. It’s won me over even if it’s missing a couple of cylinders.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Tried to talk misses out of buying a RSV(my last 4 cars have been commodores and still have 2 of them)
She didn’t listen and got one. It’s won me over even if it’s missing a couple of cylinders.
Sucks that there's no V8 but for people that would normally buy a V6 anyway, it's a great car. Enjoy it

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
What really sucked was the end of the FPV Typhoon's, that great cast iron inline six turbo engine was the greatest Australian made engine of all time.

gwog3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb vxr
Sucks that there's no V8 but for people that would normally buy a V6 anyway, it's a great car. Enjoy it
Honestly do you really miss the v8 I don't , I find the power of the v6 to be plenty . Unless your a die hard rev head you vary rarely need the power anyway

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Honestly do you really miss the v8 I don't , I find the power of the v6 to be plenty . Unless your a die hard rev head you vary rarely need the power anyway
You don't have to be a rev head to own a V8. And it's not just about the power either. Some of us just love driving them and the sound they make. Owning one is a hobby or way of life for some of us. It's hard to explain.

It's the vibe :D

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Getting on a bit are we?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You don't have to be a rev head to own a V8. And it's not just about the power either. Some of us just love driving them and the sound they make. Owning one is a hobby or way of life for some of us. It's hard to explain.

It's the vibe :D

Indeed.

I've dailyed a V8 since 1992.

When my wife asked why I wanted another one when I bought the VE, my response was similar....sound and feel.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Had a V8 Calais 2000 with a Remus exhaust - best sounding car ever ! Power was good from 4,000 revs up.
Then went into getting the Ford inline six turbo's starting with one of the first XR6T's to come into N.Z. in 2002.
Got a BF2 FPV Typhoon in 2007 and they are the ducks guts for low power and torque with max torque at just 1900 revs.
Followed that up with FG F6 310 kw's and 560 nm's and then a supercharged FPV GT-P which after a bit of a tickle up was making just on 400 kw's and was a real belter. These FPV's were bloody good cars but in terms of today's technology they are old tech but do the basics of power, handling and braking very well indeed !
Then I had a Chrysler SRT8, (350 kw) Hemi 6.4 in a solid engine with excellent low down torque but a very heavy car and not a patch on the SC GT-P for top end power. Had mega tech in it so was a pretty good fit and I probably should have kept it.
Now I have a 235 kw ZB Calais V. Now I've had it a few months the question is, does this car resonate with me and is 235 kw's enough ?
Some might recall I had an engine failure early on and a long fight to get a replacement car. This certainly hasn't helped me "bond" with the car.
Not sure what the point to sharing my last 19 year car ownership journey was ...other than I lament and am still very sad for the loss of true Australian made performance cars...

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I used to own a 74 VJ Valiant Charger 770, which I loved dearly - selling it was one of my few regrets but at the time I really had no choice. I said earlier that I do understand the loss of Australian car manufacturing and what it means to the fans, to me it happened 37 years ago when Chrysler pulled the pin on Australia.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Yeah those Chargers were bloody awesome.
Suppose I should comment on the Toyota Camry v VXR thing. No contest between those two if you value handling and decent brakes.
GM 9 speed auto is a honey. Apparently there's a fair bit of talk in Toyota threads their 8 speed auto is a bit of a lemon.
Congrats on getting your VXR Straykiwi. Enjoy :)