Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NZ] Dilemma - How to get my new project vehicle home.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all,
As some of you may know, I have purchased a project to build myself a daily driver for next winter. But the question is, what is my best way to get it the remaining 4hrs home?
It's a 1970 LWB landrover series 2a. The chassis has been done, the rear tub is painted and attached. Apart from that it is a rolling chassis and then a huge pile of parts to 99% finish building it.

Option 1) borrow a work van (big space, diesel, cheap highway travel) and collect all parts. Complete firewall repair, paint doors/fenders/roof etc. Then in 3months take my V8 down with trailer (hire) for a long weekend with the family and collect chassis. Then start bolting it all together when home.
Option 2) Borrow a ute, hire a trailer. Quickly bolt some parts together, and load as much on the chassis and in the rear tub as possible. With the rest in the ute.
Then hope like anything that it all stays together and in place (and dry) for the 4hour trip across the country.

Note: front doors are in primer. These cannot get wet. Also has very comfy later model electric leather seats. These also must stay dry.

So option 1 is the safe bet. I know everything will stay dry and arrive safe. But obviously requires 2 trips (not the cheapest option)
But option 2 feels like a risk. What if everything doesn't fit for 1 trip? Or we don't have enough time to bolt everything on securely before heading home. Or worst still what if we loose parts on the drive home.

Thoughts appreciated. (Especially if you have done similar before)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
But obviously requires 2 trips (not the cheapest option)

It is cheaper than something being damaged / lost on one trip.

The van doesn't have a tow bar ? Then do everything in one trip.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Big heavy thing to be towing for 4 hours, especially if it's in pieces. Either 2 trips or pay to have it transported imo. Just depends on the money situation really

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd say two trips. That is a lot of weight for one trip if you have an engine in the Landi as well. If doing it in one you would want a Cruiser 4WD or something similar to be the tow vehicle. See people over here floating cars using a Commodore as the tow vehicle and it's not legal. Over here you have to have a break away system on the trailer if you want to tow anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle itself.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Tassie we really don’t get harassed like the mainland we’ll hobart we don’t

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'd say two trips. That is a lot of weight for one trip if you have an engine in the Landi as well. If doing it in one you would want a Cruiser 4WD or something similar to be the tow vehicle. See people over here floating cars using a Commodore as the tow vehicle and it's not legal. Over here you have to have a break away system on the trailer if you want to tow anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle itself.
Engine is currently tied down on the wrong side of the firewall. So I have options for getting that up here.
The ute is a big Navara. (Toyota couldn't tow a bicycle. Toyota are hopeless off road and useless on road.)

Good advise about commy towing.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Dunno Deuce, I've had both Toyotas and Nissans as tow vehicles. The Toyotas win hands down - they tend to feel much more stable when you're towing 2t+. Lack of power is a bit of a pain, but they live forever in comparison to the nissans. Best tow vehicle I've used is a hj75 - you wouldn't even know you're towing something if it weren't for the extra 5 mins it takes you to get up to highway speeds :p

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, the last point I forgot to mention:
If I collect parts only with the intention to paint, the one painted part to colour match to is attached to the chassis and will be 4hours away come paint time.