Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dip stick mystery.

nasaman

Nasa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
I am rebuilding a VY engine. I really have to start the hard way with another block.
I have dismantled the original VY engine and another VX engine plus another two engines I am not sure about. all are V6 3.8 ecotec of course. I have noticed there are 2 different sumps the original being the full bell housing has the area to bolt the bell housing to the other three sumps are of the other kind that you have to bolt twp cast brackets to that attach to the half cut bell housings. So it didn't surprise me when I discovered that there was two different dip sticks. What did surprise me was to discover I now have three different dip sticks. All blocks are the same all dip stick tubes are the same I only have two different types of sumps so how come I have three different dip sticks ?? Whats going on here.???
one.JPG
two.JPG

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
Fill the motor up with the correct amount of oil - the dipstick that reads full will be the correct one.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Check with Holden as to the correct part number to suit the engine number.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
In he first VS V6 ECOTEC to the series 2 VS dip stick full mark was extended from the first

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Are you sure the block and tube length are exactly the same?

I bet there's a part number cast into the sump's somewhere.
Find the sump with the biggest external finned surface area and largest internal oil capacity and use it (edit: I'd go for the bigger outer cooling area).

Give your local holden dealership parts department a call and play match the numbers game (or call a rural dealerships number and have a chat, I bet they'll play the game).

92061868 - I'd say oldest to match sump that requires gearbox brackets

92063934 - 50/50 chance this is the one to use (VX?)
92065836 - 50/50 chance this is the one to use (VY?)
Looks to be about 250-300mL difference between the 2 later numbers, is it worth the gamble?

Last edited:

nasaman

Nasa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
Ok thanks for the response Guys I went for the fill her up with 4.7 liters and use the dipstick that tells true method.