Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirt bike in a Ute?

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi guys...

Quick question...

I bought my sister a dirt bike for a birthday, its not a very big one, only a 125cc

I also helped her get a ute to carry the dirt bike, but now the question is, is there a good, quick and safe way to get the bike up into the tray of the ute? Is a ramp the only way she'll be able to get it up there?

Also, once the bike is on the tray, do we need some kind of wheel clamp or holder to hold the front wheel straight and to keep the bike up right, or do we just tie the bike down and hope it doesn't fall?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
not sure about getting it up there, got a mate who kind of does a wheelie to get front wheel up there then stops, then boots it and the forward force shoots him into it, he just uses a normal tie down strop with the bike standing upright, one over the handle bars and one over the seat, he wraps it round the handle bars before tightening it up, not too tight tho

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Aight.

Thanks for the advice on how to secure the bike... I don't think my sister should be doin wheelies just yet... lol... so I think will have to get her a ramp or make one or something... but thanks... :)

-Jonno-

CHAPPY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU
The easiest way for her to get it up would be on a short ramp buy either riding it up or pushing it up. Have the bike in the centre and using a tie down have a loop off of each front fork and tie it down tight until the forks compress reasonably well and thread a tiedown through the back wheel and loop around the tire and tie down n its secure as ul get it. This stops it from moving up and down and also from side to side. Im only 17 and im not huge and wheel up my 525 onto my ute no worries. A 125 isnt huge so tieing it down should be easy for her.

Hope this helps. Its easy to get it secure so you shuld have no worries.

[TOPGEAR]

PUNISHER :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS + VS LS1 ute + VF SS Ute + VE Calais V
ramp is the easiest way.

u dont need a clamp or anything. just 2 tie downs wil hole it in tight.

heres a pic of mine..................

this is how i tie it in with just my bike.......

l_6e7b01cfe245459da0d05596561a3362.jpg

the tailgate shuts with 1 bike sideways like that.

and if there is 2 bikes...........

l_d017a7941d5d4660b815b4645f992021.jpg

i bought hooks from bunnings and fitted them into the back of the ute.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Just to add what has been said, make sure you put something between the front tyre and mud gaurd to stop the shockers compressing. The will compress on a bump and your strap will come lose, or if you strap it until the shocks are fully compressed you risk blowing out the top seals. A lump of wood is good enough, aslong at it wont come out and stops the shocks compressing to much.
then just a strap on each side pulling against each other to keep it up. If you want you strap the wheel wheel to stop it slidding around if it can. We dont do this unless on the tray ute the sides arnt on.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Cool... thanks alot people... thats alot of advice and its all good... cool... will look into a ramp or something on ebay, or will go to bunnings on the weekend and see what they got there... and will hold the ute in place with the tie downs...

thanks for the advice on the block of wood between the wheel and mudguard, didn't think of that, so thanks again :)

Hopefully all goes well this weekend coz the bike is her 23 b'day present... lol ;)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Repco had ramps for utes in there catologue this week. There folding ones to. Cant remeber the price, maybe 89 or 159 I cant really remember :p

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Awesomeness...

Thanks again... just called my local Repco and they will have the folding ramp tomorrow for $119... so thats good... but another question the guy couldn't answer was will the weight of the bike on the tailgate be too much for it to handle? its a 125cc bike, so shouldn't be that heavy, and the ramp had a weight limit of 200kg, so thats fine, but will the tailgate hold?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i just use a 6X2 and ride on up easy as