Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirty Coolant?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Alright thanks for the feedback. How would i check the link pin bushes? I dont really know what they are :p. Do i need to flush the whole coolant system to do what vxcalais_01 suggested?

cheers
Here is a pic of the link pin.

Attachments

• Link pin.jpg
    Link pin.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 1,731
Last edited:

beegee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive 5l 5speed
I have exactly the same problem with the dirty coolant, I flushed it and it came straight back! Then I removed the intake manifold and discovered a broken gasket, cost me $50 for a new gasket set.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i have the same gunk on cap

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Gasket set for ecotec in from $80-$150 depending on how cheap you can get it. Get the whole set with plenum gasket, centre manifold gasket etc. You will also need gasket for the heater inlet pipe that comes out, and may as well change your injector o-rings while its off. Use Hylomar spray or Blue silastic sealant on the head and gasket surface. These gaskets dont seem to do well on their own. I did mine over a year ago, my brother in law did his last week, and all these people on the forums. Holden should really be paying for it.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
hey guys my vt is exactly the same on the radiator cap, holden told me not to worry bout it theyre all like that! i have a ticking noise coming from no 1 cylinder, it was never loud before but now it is after giving the car a bit of a work out other night, would this be the intake gasket hole getting bigger or something being loose??

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Could be a noisy lifter. You can try one of the LPG testers, i know you dont have gas, but the wand they put up the tail pipe to read mixtures, they can sometimes identify internal air leaks. Or pressure test. Holden are usually referring to the residue from the pellets the install into the radiator. 3 pellets will not as much gunk as is on the top picture. I have always used the pellets, and what you see it some minor brown stuff, more pieces of the crushed walnut. But not like that or when i have the inlet leak. Its built up around the filler neck. If it was the pellets, wouldnt it eventually disappear as you kept wiping it away ?

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
the ticking noise is hard to explain but it sounds exactly like those old crappy magnas when theyre a bit beaten up, the noise was faint when i first got the car and could only notice it when low revs in a gear before it changed down under load. its more of an oily residue on the cap and in the filler neck. i got told the ecotecs always leak a bit of oil into coolant system and its nothing to worry about from holden mechanic.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
the ticking noise is hard to explain but it sounds exactly like those old crappy magnas when theyre a bit beaten up, the noise was faint when i first got the car and could only notice it when low revs in a gear before it changed down under load. its more of an oily residue on the cap and in the filler neck. i got told the ecotecs always leak a bit of oil into coolant system and its nothing to worry about from holden mechanic.

Yes quite a few mechanics say that, especially once your radiator stuffs up.