Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirty Coolant?

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
Heyas.

Checked the coolant level today, came out brown and sticky and rank. Is this oil mixing with coolant? What does it mean?

Also, not sure if related - but yesterday and today when im going around corners or over small bumps im getting a 'knocking' noise from the front end. Shock absorbers?

thanks guys :(

Attachments

• DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,052

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is probably time to flush the cooling system and refill it with the proper coolant. Can't tell much from the photo.
Worn link pin bushes could be the cause of your other problem.

Last edited:

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
Heyas.

Checked the coolant level today, came out brown and sticky and rank. Is this oil mixing with coolant? What does it mean?

Also, not sure if related - but yesterday and today when im going around corners or over small bumps im getting a 'knocking' noise from the front end. Shock absorbers?

thanks guys :(

Knocking noise could be sway bar link pin bushes - easy cheap fix if it is.
Check em, you'll see if they are no good :)

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Looks like a blown intake manifold gasket to me......... flush with some radiator cleaner and drain, just run water for a few days and see if it comes back ? It will start forming on the cap again if thats the case. If you use coolant, you will just waste it as it needs to come out again if you need to fix gasket.

jonnydico

Reaction score
Mine looked the same, the transmission cooler (attached to side of rad) had a small crack and was leaking into the coolent. New rad from repco $240 and new coolent fixed the prob. Manifold gasket also likely.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
lol i had something similar to this it could be as simple as what GM Holden call Coolant Biscuits, mine looked similar to this and that was the problem here. it might be that

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
Alright thanks for the feedback. How would i check the link pin bushes? I dont really know what they are :p. Do i need to flush the whole coolant system to do what vxcalais_01 suggested?

cheers

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
knocking noises are your top strut mounts ~$200 to replace them (parts only)
the coolant looks fine just time to replace it. if you replace it and goes gunky again time to replace head gaskets

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Alright thanks for the feedback. How would i check the link pin bushes? I dont really know what they are :p. Do i need to flush the whole coolant system to do what vxcalais_01 suggested?

cheers

NO, just drain it and put in some water. Drop bottom hose is enough. Then wipe the cap and the filler neck before filling. Then see how it comes back. The radiator pellets are good to use, crushed walnut shells. I always use them and do not cause that gunk. Even Bars stop leak is good to use. If you havent always owned the car, and never changed the coolant, someone could have added a stop leak to it. But the filler neck buildup makes me assume otherwise ;) Just trial and error before spending big bucks.

If its transmission oil, it will be a reddish colour on the cap and filler neck. When i had mine the oil used to have a slight tinge in the white to whatever colour my engine oil was. I was using a red oil at that time. Changed it, started to have same colour as new oil.