Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirty Fuel in Melbourne

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
But the industry does play with the mix of butane and propane that make up LPG during the seasons :p Too much butane and performance suffers :rolleyes:
Yes, they have summer and winter mixes and IIRC the summer mix is the ducks nuts. Still even with the bad mix it’s about 100 octane with the good mix being 110 octane.

Also at least the individual servos can’t mess with that and the blend is done at the refinery level.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I recall reading somewhere (and long ago) recommending not to buy fuel when the tank is filling the tanks as the refilling process stirs up the sediments and contaminates in the underground tank. I’m not sure if there is an validity in that recommendation or not?
I won’t go to a servo if I see the tanker is there. I’ll go somewhere else, probably to another servo that the tanker just pulled out of five minutes beforehand! Lol.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
See smaller mobs like the United servos and the like, one look at ownership is enough to tell me things are poorly if not at all maintained, avoid those service stations like the plague. They are cheaper for a reason.

Costco servo is always well maintained and clean by the look of it. The issue is 100% maintenance of filters etc and I agree heavy rains etc contribute to the muck.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
in the VE the plastic area surrounding the pump is the filter so u wont have to worry about it getting to your injectors it will just gum up that filter first, hopefully...

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I won’t go to a servo if I see the tanker is there. I’ll go somewhere else, probably to another servo that the tanker just pulled out of five minutes beforehand! Lol.

Good point about if the tanker is there as I have read previously that all sorts of s**t is stirred up when the tanker making a delivery. Of course if you are nearly empty you don't have much of a choice but if you do and the tanker is there it is best move on to the next joint or come back later.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
in the VE the plastic area surrounding the pump is the filter so u wont have to worry about it getting to your injectors it will just gum up that filter first, hopefully...
[/QUOTE]

I recently pulled an old one apart (#2) to see if I was able to service/repair it,
[Being I had the Sender Unit Fault and thought just do a straight swap]
and seen the "T shape" gauze type filter that lays in the bottom of the housing.
For the case of the exercise, and curiosity, that's when I pulled it apart, I was able to remove the filter,
then cleaned it in degreaser, and hosed it down and dried it off with compressed air, [and out in the sun to dry off]
And It came up remarkably well, little off colour, but it was clean.
I then cleaned the rest of the Tank Unit as best I could, but wasn't able to disconnect the pipes, as I was a bit worried they would break if stretched/moved to much,
I then re-assembled it, and packed it away in case I need to quick swap,

Seeing the price of them, and down time of sourcing one,
it would be a quick fix.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I fill at Costco they are constantly busy I see a tanker there everytime I go. Always fresh fuel never had a problem.
Mmmm... you can also buy a coffin there.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Full service :)

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Dear Members,

I have been out and about working during lock down doing breakdown/essential/urgent work only,
And have been purchasing fuel as required,
But recently had again the " X Contact Dealer" come to screen, and the Fuel Gauge drop to Empty. [as per image attached]

I have just changed the Complete Fuel Pump Unit on my VE for the 4th Time,
(First & Second Time I dropped the Tank, The third time I cut a Hole in the Floor)

This time I removed the "So Called" "OEM Quality Fuel Pump" that the guy on eBay sold me,
that said "it's a Genuine One", which was BS,
after I did some investigating, it appears is a Cheap Chinese Copy, with a look alite GM Part number on it.
The person in question is in Coburg !

Not because of the Pump, becuase of the Fuel Gauge sender, was failing,
because it would get to 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank and it would drop to empty,
Then the Dash would display " X Contact Dealer"
Then in a few K/M's further on, it would go back to normal.

When removing the old unit, I noticed like dirt around the bottom of the tank unit, and some of remaining fuel was in the bottom of the unit looked dirty,

So I tipped out what was left into a white ice cream container,
And it is as attached,

One would assume, because the lack of fuel sales during lockdown,
I guess this is what some stations possibly have in their U/G tanks,
So if you have any issues,
I would be checking the fuel First !
That's not good... I think it might have been my mechanic who told me to try to avoid independant petrol stations as a number of them buy fuel on the spot market. Apparently some of this fuel can come (or came) from countries that don't have the same quality standards required here. He suggested trying to stick to the major brands like Shell, Caltex etc. If anyone would like to correct this, would be grateful.