Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dirty power steering fluid

alishan

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VN
Hey all, I know very little about cars which will become obvious in the next few sentences :)

I topped up my power steering fluid 2 days ago as it was pretty low, actually really low, and I checked it today and the level was fine, still at the level when I topped it up but the color of it was a dark greyish almost black.

Could this have been because the last bit that was left in there was old? Or is it more serious?

Do I need to drain my reservoir and refill it?

Thanks for any help and sorry about the ultra noobish question.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Power Steer Fluid/Trans Fluid, same bloke diffrent hat.Buy a $2 hand pump & suck the snot outa the P/S tank & slap in sum new stuff but this way u won't get it all out.Alternatively u can undo a ps line at the rack depending on your level of patience & drain it out from there after u turn the steering from lock to lock.That'll get the crap outa the rack itself.From memory the line closest to the frame is the return line.I run a P/S cooler on mine.Knocked up outa an old trans cooler.Worx tuff, keeps me fluid sweet like red cordial..

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Maybe invest in a power steering in-line filter!

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
probably best to bleed it all out, undo the line on the rack and keep the pump reovoir topped up and keep turning lock to lock to pump it out.