Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DISABLE PASSENGER FRONT AIRBAG?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Heavy impact is a moot point as the airbag inflates and deflates before the structure of the vehicle will intrude on the cabin space.

If it wasn't safe there wouldn't be child seat anchors fitted.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
If it wasn't safe there wouldn't be child seat anchors fitted.

If there weren’t child anchors fitted they wouldn’t sell as many..

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I'm going to assume you're replying to me...so why wouldn't a big frontal impact cause the airbag to injure or kill a front facing child in a carseat?
yeah well a reckon a big impact then everyone is pretty well stuffed. the concern is about a small impact or even a malfunction deploying the bag and then the child dying. i'm not going to question the authorities on this one. just asking if the bag can be turned off!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd follow recommendations from the authorities on child seating with respect to airbags, without reservations.

Also, often ignored, is older children or adults sleeping with their head against the door on long drives.
In a side impact where the airbags deploy, such sleeping passengers WILL receive further injury or even death as a result of their head placement.

There is this youtube video that may clarify why it's important and how to seat childeren correcty (it is US centric but still relevant).

I don't own a Holden Ute so can't make specific comments about that vehicle. For a Holden sedan, they write it is safest for children to be seated in the rear seat. Holden also passes the buck to state legistalation and writes that in most jurisdictions, children under 4 can not to be seated in the front passenger seat. They also state, where legally allowed you may install a forward facing child restraint in the front seat but always move the passenger seat as far back as it will go. Holden warn that do not use a rearward facing child restraint on a seat protected by an air bag infront of it.

So, as for the provision of front seat child restraint anchors, this fact does not automatically mean a child restraint is safe in the front seat. I'd strongly recommend people read their owners manual as there may be a requirement that when using a forward facing child restraints, the seat must be at it's furthest rearward position. If such requirements are documented, as i expect they would, then using a child seat when the seat is fully forward would likely be rather unsafe even though child restraint anchors are provided.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
We have another Benboy, yay.