Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disable traction control

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry to touch on an old thread again but I had to reply to this.. I can definitely be one to agree that sometimes traction control is a little to happy to stop the wheels from spinning, I’m no v8 owner but I own a series 1 VE with an alloytec and I find that even that triggers traction in the wet and puts you in a situation where you have to bury the throttle so that when it gives throttle back you can actually make the gap
In such cases, its almost always the case that you’ve made a poor choice to pull out and attempt an overtake manoeuvre when the safest course would have been to stay put and not overtake.

In most cases it’s not an issue of a car‘s traction control but one of poor driver decision making :eek:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Traction control is separate and independent from the anti-abuse (e.g. prevention of powerskids to improve your 0-100, additional to IRV) built into the cars from the VZ to the VE and then VF. Defeating, or assumed to have defeated one will not do the same to the other.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I've had numerous minor squirrelly moments in my VF. Its on some shitty chinese tyres that were on it from the dealer, and in the rain they are bad.

One day I gently (actually!) pulled away from some lights and it must have slithered 2ft sideways due to the camber on 1/4 throttle.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I've had numerous minor squirrelly moments in my VF. Its on some shitty chinese tyres that were on it from the dealer, and in the rain they are bad.

One day I gently (actually!) pulled away from some lights and it must have slithered 2ft sideways due to the camber on 1/4 throttle.

You can get the same effect on worn-down Bridgestone Potenza tyres (VF original fits). It is the done thing to abuse them to the point of wearing the tread down to slick, and somewhat unenlightened peeps then complain about them "lacking grip and life". Drrrft.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Had a discussion with the engineering section (subject matter expert) of Holden (& also with DOTSRS) when I was wanting to reduce rear rim width to match fronts (like the standard SS has). What I was told was that doing such impacts suspension/abs/ebd/esc which was tuned for the fitted wheels, thus it made it too dangerous to do. When I highlighted I can legally by the cheapest crappiest tyres out there and probably achieve a worse outcome, i got the sound of crickets...

Holden wouldn’t provide any doc stating that SS wheels were ok on Motorsport, therefore reducing the rear rim width remains illegal.

You’d think TC/ESC would be firstly dependant on processor speed, as it’s a reactive system, and should cope with tyre compound variations and wheel width variations across the platform. Then tuning of TC/ESC parameters would provide the type of feel the product sold requires, such as how much the system allows one to get sideways before intervention. In my Motorsport, the button pressing and knob twirling can influence ESC/TC behaviour but doesn’t touch the anti abuse protection :rolleyes:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
You can get the same effect on worn-down Bridgestone Potenza tyres (VF original fits). It is the done thing to abuse them to the point of wearing the tread down to slick, and somewhat unenlightened peeps then complain about them "lacking grip and life". Drrrft.
My rears are like that now. That's why my Bridgestone's are not grippy