Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disable traction control

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Does anyone know if there is a way to disabled traction control with the VF2 SS when ever car starts.

I tend to find myself turning it off all the time via button by gear stick. Just prefer to drive my manual without it on.

So wonder if there is a fuse or something I can pull. So it’s off by default.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Other than turning it off each the you start the car, I think the only other way is via a tuner disabling it. Not sure about a fuse

only issue there is that you will still have ESP, which you will need to switch off the same way (via switch)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No, it’s a legal requirement that the system always default to ON at every vehicle start.

The fact we can even relax traction or stability control settings, or even turn them off completely in some cars, was fought for by the manufacturers or performance cars (otherwise track days in your performance car with all the nannies stuck permanently on would be rather boring - important part is track days).

But if you always drive with TC off on public roads, one would have to ask why you prefer it off and how you drive in those cases?

By all means have as much fun as you want on a race track but keep in mind that public roads are a shared resource with all sorts of people of varying skills on the same bit of black. So proper driving manners should be observed at all time...

And it may be that stability control actually saves your life when you are tired behind the wheel and some other idiot has a micro sleep and comes into your path. When you need to swerve hard, the difference with having TC/SC on or off may be the difference between life and death, even more so if you are tired behind the wheel.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Traction and stability control in a manual car is madness. Dangerous and unpredictable. Takes away the ability for the driver to manuvour the car when it's out of control for whatever reason. Glad we can switch it off!!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Traction and stability control in a manual car is madness. Dangerous and unpredictable. Takes away the ability for the driver to manuvour the car when it's out of control for whatever reason. Glad we can switch it off!!

there are a plethora of engineers, industry experts, professional drivers and billions of dollars in r&d that disagree with that.

modern tc/esc systems work extremely well in all conditions regardless of the vehicles transmission and these types of systems are prohibited in certain race cars not because it is dangerous but because they can give a programmable advantage to the driver/team.

it is annoying to have in a 4x4 because soon as you hit sand or soft ground with it on you sink like a stone :(

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The world’s best & most-skilled drivers race cars with traction control, if there was a car-control related benefit then those top cars wouldn’t have it fitted.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
The world’s best & most-skilled drivers race cars with traction control, if there was a car-control related benefit then those top cars wouldn’t have it fitted.
yes a far more calibrated and precise traction control.. our traction control is slow and clumsy. has got me in to trouble twice now. lesson learnt don't use traction control..

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
yes a far more calibrated and precise traction control.. our traction control is slow and clumsy. has got me in to trouble twice now. lesson learnt don't use traction control..

I'd be interested to know how and why your car's traction control got you into trouble on those two occasions.

I know no system is perfect but I see traction control and stability control as two major life savers in modern cars and their good points far outweigh their bad.

I drive older cars without either or ABS, these cars are overpowered and under braked and they can be a handful in some conditions and to make things worse my reflexes are deteriorating with age and they can be both fun or frightening.

I can switch traction and stability off in my BMW and Merc but my Merc for example when in sports or track mode just goes mental when all the driver aids are switched off and can be a real pain in the bum on the street, the BMW isn't so severe.

The one thing I do like about those Euro's compared to my Redline is they are not just an on and off system, they can be switch down in increments which means I can shut them down a little to allow the car to spin and slide a bit more before the computer intervenes without having to go all out and turn them completely off.

Still for my family's sake, my own and the other road users and passengers around me while driving on public streets, I'd rather the safety of a fully functioning TC/ESP system with it's limitations over not having one at all.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I actually find this trac system great. It let's you spin a little taking off at the lights, it didn't work in the burst water main this morning it only seems to work when your lighting it up. It is also fairly quick on and off, we have a turbo diesel van and that things kills you when you take off quickly in a corner so your stuck crawling across traffic. The vf can be a little annoying when taking a corner with too much torque and getting the back end out it will cut a little too early and rip you back into grip with no power for a second. I find these cars being large but also well handling are a little harder than commos before Zeta to lose control even with traction off and I've heard others make the same comment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m also interested to know how you were driving so that this ‘slow and clumsy’ traction control decided you were outside safe limits and thus intervened?

If you were driving in a manner that is safe with your vehicle under control, as is the legal requirement, I’d expect you’d never come across ESC/TC/ABS operation on a public road.

I’d suspect in this case, the issue is not one of ESC/TC calibration but the mental calibration of the person behind the wheel who wants it permanently disabled.

Anyone who thinks driving like Sena/Fangio/Brock on a public road is acceptable behaviour while entertaining a moronic view that these safety measures designed to protect one from their own stupidity are the problem needs to grow up. By all means play on a race track like an adult but leave such behaviour where it should be, on a race track.

And if you insist you are so skilled that you don’t need or want ESC/TC on a modern car, I’d say you don’t have the required ‘sharing mindset’ to be on a public road. As such my view is that you should have your license canceled. Yes may be harsh but I’ve literally come across idiots like you on a public road.

Ps: well said @panhead. Isn’t the MSE mode switch a method of selectively loosening ESC/TC with track being the least intervening of the lot for track use..?

Last edited: