Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disadvantages of using High-Low line RCA converters?

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
Hi guys,

I know there has been much discussion about topics such as this all-over the car audio forum but i believe my question is a little different.

I dont have enough money too afford one of Phreddys blaupunkt head unit mods (for VY) so i want to use RCA converters to enable me to connect my sub and amp to my stock head unit..

I understand that by wiring the converter onto the speaker wires i will get RCA attatchments... but what kind of quality can be expected from this?

Is the sound quality that bad?

is it still listenable?

is it a job worth doing?

cheers for any advice

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
there are a few sq VE's etc going around using rockford fosgate converters that apparently sound just as good as their counterparts. Apparently no noticeable difference at all. Sorry can't comment further as I haven't heard them myself.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
It depends on the quality of the LOC. I have 2 LOC's in my VE. The 4 channel one for my fronts and sub is a Peripheral Sven4 which cost me $150. The 2 channel one for my rears is a DNA branded one that cost me $20. The Sven4 is awesome! The quality that comes out of it I would say is probably just as good as an aftermarket H/U very clear crisp sounds. The DNA unit for the rears however is still very good just doesn't have the same quality sound about it. But still very decent sound. I've spent over $6000 on my SQ stereo for the VE and it sounds great. I thought it would be let down by the factory H/U and LOC's but it isn't, it sounds great! So I would definitely recommend going with a LOC if you can't afford a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 at $300 or a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 at $600. Although the cheaper LOC's are pretty decent, I would recommend spending a little bit extra and getting a higher quality LOC like the Peripheral Sven.

SVEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
there is stuff all diference if set up corectly
most ppl just chuck them in and turn it up loud
take time seting them up they are fine and ya wouldnt notice the diference
but you do get what ya pay for remeber that

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
you have a link?

..you could just go to jaycar electronics and pick one up for $15

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
If you are just using the speaker outputs from the headunit to drive the sub amp, then I cant see that it will be a big factor in the sound quality.
However, Im not sure if you also intend to run your existing speakers off the head unit or off an amp driven by the HU outputs.
If you are running the front speakers of the HU and turn the vol up then the distortion produced by the HU will rise and be fed into the sub amp as well. If the front speakers are also run off an amp, then you are not loading up the amp on the HU and it will be able to produce fairly high signal levels without as much distortion.

Typically the difference would be most audible in the uppper frequencies where noise that has been amplified twice(once by the not so good internal amp of the HU which adds its own noise as well) would become more apparent, also amplifying twice adds to the total distortion, again the internal amp of the head unit being the weak link here. In the lower frequencies that noise and distortion just aren't as noticeable and really shouldnt affect the integrity of the low frequency signal, unless the HU is driven too high with a direct load such as the front speakers..

You can make your own convertor, really they are just a voltage divider, though by the time you get all the bits, do the maths on what you need and put it together its easier to buy one with adjustable input.

You are going to get cleaner sound by adding an amp to the HU outputs, then by using the HU direct to the speakers.

Last edited:

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
..judging by the pics from the link, the converter from jaycar is very very very similar to that one on ebay.

i've got on in my VS and ive never had a problem with them.