Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disconnected Exhaust at Cat, will this damage my engine (304 5 litre) ?

mfiling

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim II
hey guys i took the rear and middle muffler off my car so the exhaust stops at the catalytic convertor..will this damage my car at all?? i plan on driving around with it like this for about 1 week

jdodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
i would not advise it at all. why do you really need it off???
it won't damage the engine, your floor pan might get a bit hot, so will the cat (may melt?)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
*can run a bit leaner. Don't flog it and it will be fine. Very loud, but fine.
Why are you doing that for?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Hahahahaha.
If he sits in it maybe. Doubt it though, Had the Y pipe of my mates Calais for a couple of days and I had it running to let it warm up while I sat and watched the temp gauge. Got a tad smelly but not that horrible.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hahahahaha.
If he sits in it maybe. Doubt it though, Had the Y pipe of my mates Calais for a couple of days and I had it running to let it warm up while I sat and watched the temp gauge. Got a tad smelly but not that horrible.

How the #### do you drive a car? Sitting on the roof? :hmmm:

For a week as well, Carbon Monoxide poisoning isn't something that just happens after 5 mins of exposure. It builds up in your system, a week is more than enough time for it to build up in your system to dangerous levels.

All it would take is one grommet in the floorpan to be slightly damaged or mis-aligned, or even the boot vents - in behind the rear bumper, the rear bar would act like a big funnel, sucking in the exhaust gasses constantly for the drive to work/shops/drug dealers house...

O/P, mate, exhausts are there for a reason, not just to make the exhaust quiet, but also to take the toxic gasses to a point where they can be vented to a safe place - ie, not the cabin of the vehicle.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Jeza84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore ute S pack 5 Litre
Sounds grouse!

hey guys i took the rear and middle muffler off my car so the exhaust stops at the catalytic convertor..will this damage my car at all?? i plan on driving around with it like this for about 1 week

I have done the same with my vr ute, it has the 304 aswell with twin 2.5s all the way through.
I disconnected the driver side before the cat and have been driving it around for an experiment.
Totally different driving experience put it that way.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
how are your ears? Bleeding?