Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
WOW, I missed this thread.

Not that what you did wasn't impressive but how exactly did that end? If I remember correctly either blown head gaskets or broken pistons or both?

Sure you made good power however when someone like Holden release an engine they have to do it in a manor where they can ensure the engine will cope with crap fuel and what ever else cars deal with during their years of service as well as survive a reasonable amount of mileage. If Holden released a supercharged V6 based on what you had they would be broke with warranty repairs within a couple of years (and we won't talk about NVH, ADR or emissions compliance).

Peace out.

BTW, when Holden first used the L67 in the VS models the standard ecotec made 147kw, the 5litre V8 made 165kw which was the same as the L67 @ 165KW, the V8 makes 10Nm more torque but the L67 makes it's torque earlier in the power band. BTW BTW, the L67 used in the Commodores was borrowed directly from the US but detuned as they came out with 180kw/380Nm standard in the US in 1996. Holden also never used the newer version of the L67 (L32) which made more power again with a newer generation M90 blower.

It ended badly (head gasket) because I was impatient. As I already admitted in a previous post in this thread, I should have waited for the cooler before trying to beat the 4.9 second challenge. I would have continued with it using MLS gasket, cooler and 14PSI pulley if other priorities in life didn't get in the way. I still have all of the bolt-ons floating around. If you are patient enough you may see the old 3800 running 14PSI in my brother's E21. :)

I will concede some ground to your point on warranty, but still stand by my initial complaint.. 19kW extra @ 6psi is not that an impressive an outcome..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You should probably also note in my post about how Holden detuned the L67. No doubt it wouldn't have been a good look to have a V6 (supercharged or not) putting out more power than their flagship V8 model.

Not surprising really, they did exactly the same when they released the LS1 engines in the VT, 225kw first release when the exact same engine produced 245kw in the US.

Car manufacturers do some silly stuff that will never make sense to us mere mortals but it does give us mere mortals scope to improve and modify what they sell us :)