Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You say they're **** & then quote kw figures, you should know better than to do that.

The L67 was more powerful than the comparable (of the time) V8.

VT L67 Specs:
Maximum power: 171 kW @ 5200 RPM.
Maximum torque: 375 Nm @ 3000 RPM.

Don't forget to put up the torque specs as well, the L67 makes good torque (in stock form) down low & does even better when modded slightly, oh and that's not including a boost upgrade.

Also why are you basing your opinion on the L67, when you owned a Buick 3800 with a (crap) SC14 charger?

Loooooool - ummm are you sure of that???

Base VT V8

Power = 179KW @ 4800RPM.
Torque = 400Nm @ 3600 RPM.

I'm not great at numbers and stuff but I'm pretty sure 179 is bigger than 171, as is 400 more than 375 :bang:

(not that i'm claiming the 5 litre as a great thing either as by then it was well and truly over the hill)

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Perhaps Because:

1) They are ****, they make poor power and drink more fuel.
2) P platers aren't allowed to drive them, so there is no demand for them. Anyone who is buying a second or subsequent car is usually looking for something newer with less problems.

Removing the charger will cost you more than the difference between buying a standard Ecotec and the Asthmatic L67. Of course once you are off your Ps you can put the charger back on making you the laughing stock of the forced induction world.

My comments are based on facts and experience.

Facts:
Standard Ecotec: 152 kW (204 hp)
L67 running 6psi of boost: 171 kW (229 hp)

An extra 19kW (25 hp) from 6psi, or to put it another way, an extra 12.5% power from an increase in VE of approximately 40%, or to put it yet another way, "they are ****".

Experience:
Having driven both the stock and charged versions of the ecotec, and also having spent 18 months developing my own charged buick 3800 running 6psi. It was pulling 220kW (295hp) out of a well used 3800 with an SC14 at 6psi.

A bit dramatic Stig writing off a whole engine just because you looked at the red book power figures and spent 2 years strapping a glorified AC compressor to your car.

Could have just said it's not your cup of tea.. other people have had some success with them.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

You say they're **** & then quote kw figures, you should know better than to do that.

VT L67 Specs:

Don't forget to put up the torque specs as well, the L67 makes good torque (in stock form) down low & does even better when modded slightly, oh and that's not including a boost upgrade.

Also why are you basing your opinion on the L67, when you owned a Buick 3800 with a (crap) SC14 charger?

VT 5ltr specs
Maximum power: 179 kW @ 4800 RPM
Maximum torque: 400 Nm @ 3600 RPM

more powerful? maybe more kw per ltr(maybe not when calculating with forced induction) maybe more kw/tonne, but not more powerful dot for dot.

ps. my 3ltr 6 has more killerwasps than a stock l67.

to the op: disconnecting the supercharger would be a silly idea, so my question is, why do you want to do such a thing?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Soooo the VY Super6 is better than an LS1. Is that what you're trying to say?

And let the record show that YOU brought V8's into this.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear

Errm?? You're right, I should know better than to try to combat stupidity with verifiable fact.

Wrong!

The V8's ranged from 179kW to 220 kW in the VT. Torque was 400Nm through 446Nm

VT L67 Specs:

Ok I won't. 375Nm - My VP had 400+ Nm of torque.

I am saying that with an SC14 and 6psi of boost I was easily able to pull and extra 73kW out of an older engine, holden managed 19kW with there L67 efforts. Sad!

Having driven a VX SC Ecotec, I found it difficult to believe that there was any extra power at all over the NA version. Perhaps a little more torque. When all was said and done I handed the keys back disappointed. And I like FI and 6 cylinders.

You seem to be trying to justify your own choice in vehicle, rather than giving impartial advice.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Wow, this has gone well. Coming from someone who used to own an L67, in stock form they're definately not anything to write home about, however with a few mods they can get along quiet well. I bet a lot better than an SC14 on a V6.

Having said all that, I've got rid of my L67 and now own 4 V8 cars, so make of that what you will.

Stig, you're forgetting to take into account the L67's lowered compression, compared to both the ecotec and your Buick. More comp will help make up for the shortfalls of the SC14.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Loooooool - ummm are you sure of that???

Base VT V8

Power = 179KW @ 4800RPM.
Torque = 400Nm @ 3600 RPM.

I'm not great at numbers and stuff but I'm pretty sure 179 is bigger than 171, as is 400 more than 375 :bang:

(not that i'm claiming the 5 litre as a great thing either as by then it was well and truly over the hill)

Yeah sorry I knew I was wrong when I typed that, couldn't be bothered correcting it really.
With that said it was bloody close to the performance of the V8, plus it was slightly lighter (again not 100% sure, but can't be bothered to look it up) :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Soooo the VY Super6 is better than an LS1. Is that what you're trying to say?

And let the record show that YOU brought V8's into this.

Are we not talking about the VT? I was referring to when the L67 was first put into a commodore.

Not sure why you jumped the gun.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Are we not talking about the VT? I was referring to when the L67 was first put into a commodore.

Not sure why you jumped the gun.

L67 is an engine that went into multiple series. But just to keep you happy, the VT had an LS1 aswell. So, my question still stands.