Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

Discussion in 'Straight 6 Development And Modification' started by patto848, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    TI3VOM, i was disappointed in you in this thread. You’ve always stood up for the V6 boys and ive always respected you for that

But you’ve quoted figures/information that were incorrect, and have since been corrected by members who don’t own Holdens (and i assume its been a number of years since they have)

We’re all human and make mistakes, and i understand that. But im curious to know how this forum operates in your eyes

Because all i see is the members of this forum providing techincal info to OP’s question, providing facts and figures, and their opinion. Everything the OP needs to help make a discision.

As far as OP’s question goes, i dont know alot about the super 6’s as far as being reliable, fuel cosumption, performance etc. my opinion is its cheaper with less K’s id be buying the super 6. Extra power that cost less. Providing you are legal to drive it.

2. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Ill happily admit I jumped in here because you were making a fool of yourself.

Ive tried recently to stay well clear of these threads and in some instances have even provided helpful information to V6 posters.

However, YOU were the one that started the age old argument and mentioned V8s and then listed off facts and figures that were then shown to be incorrect.

When someone asks why they are noticing a negative price difference between standard ecotecs and L67 driven cars, thats opening the floor for negatives about the engine. Thats not people posting hate or just ragging on it because its 6.

When someone asks if they should buy a LS, I list every problem out there. Piston slap, lifters, oil issues. They are akin to being a inefficient engine in a heavy boat shell.

3. AirStrike

AirStrike Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    91' VN SS
    The L67 isn't a bad engine if you limit yourself to exhaust and a boost upgrade, after that it is horrible $ per kw.

4. monkey

monkey Donating Member

See what youve gone and done patto848 ? Sometimes talking about V6s is like poking wasp nest. Can be quite amusing or cringe worthy and hard to extract the useful information.

If I were you and had the cash id be looking for a manual VY. They are always more fun and have better resale value for when you get your full license. Change the diff ratio and make it look good handle well and pump the tunes, thats about all you can do while on Ps I gather.

5. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore

I actually didn't start any arguments Michael, all I did was mention that the L67 was more powerful than the V8 commodore version. This lead to people informing I was full of **** and on this occasion, I was, I have already admitted that.

I still don't see how thestig can write off the L67?
    He is the one who started this by comparing his experience with his 3800 V6 that was highly modified & then compares the performance difference to the stock L67. Were those peformance figures done on an actual dyno and quarter mile? Or were they just on the G-Tec?

6. Decicrate

Decicrate Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67
    Another typical L67 bash thread, always seems to be the way on this forum. This forum would have the least amount of L67's on it yet everyone that has never owned one seems to know everything about them, as usual.

I swear that so many on this forum live in a cave and never venture out to see what others are up to. They base their "facts" on nothing more than their own opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore

I was referring to the way certain people (guaranteed nearly every time) love to jump in on any V6 thread & if their is a difference of opinion they then gang up.

8. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    can someone clarify if its legal for an 18 year old P plater to drive a super 6 in VIC.

if they are legal to drive them, then the smarter choice is to buy the super6. not only being cheaper with lower Ks but they have more avenue's to venture. OP can keep it stock and enjoy the extra power it has over the N/A or start modding it. this isnt a discussion for power for $. because we all know where it leads. and its OPs money to choose how he spends it

9. chargedvx6

chargedvx6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY SII HBD Calais L67
    Yeah turd polishing happens a lot lol. The SC14 was not a factory option and you were spinning it way past it's engineered levels.......which a standard L67 isn't. So your comparison is just mute

10. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Unsure why you keep using my first name.

But anywho. You cannot see how you posting the incorrect information and making the claim that the Super 6 was faster than the V8 could start an argument? Thats exactly the same as someone saying "Buy a V8".

Jecs, the laws are changing again, but currently in Vic, you cannot drive any petrol car with forced induction, turbo diesels etc are fine in some instances. From memory under the new laws coming in the Calais SC6 were ok, although not entirely sure. They havent applied to me in 5 years so I havent bothered to researc

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    They're not allowed to drive them (yet afaik), although they aren't completely banned. You can get an exemption if you prove that you don't have anything else to drive. Hardly worth it though, fuel costs and with insurance being a killer for 'high performance' cars combined with a p plater status will keep you broke for a long time.

Anyway, stock for stock I'd have the 5L cause they sound good and are extremely smooth. And best of all can be put on gas; great performance and sound at a very low price :D

12. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    I think the L67 can be a good performance engine, it just costs a lot more kw for kw.

IMO, if it were chucked in anything else but a boat of a commodore it would be perfect.

Id love to chuck one in something light and nimble as a project. A second hand L67 can be had for dirt cheap.

13. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    TBH the L67 is marginally better than the NA v6's in the extra few kgs of the blower will hold a marginally larger boat to the bottom of the ocean.

14. thestig

thestig resident misanthrope

Members Ride:
    E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
    I never said the SC14 was a factory option, and yes I certainly was spinning it way beyond what it was designed for, but then it was still only making 6psi of boost. Anyhow, i think this swarm of hornets has almost run it's course. I'm going to go for a drive and see what trouble I get into out there....

15. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    L 67 conversions to Hi- lux , Rodeo , and the like , are a popular swap putting one in a chevette or a Torana would be my choice .

16. 383 hatch

383 hatch Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
    I thought there was some silly posts in this thread, but that by far takes the cake as the most silly.

Been there, done that. Ended up pulling it out in favour of some N/A V8 power.

17. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    One of my colleagues has one in his , with a cam as well , it goes well , plus it looks completely stock also .
    A lot of the highway patrol boys are born petrol heads , and have something hidden away in the garage

18. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
  19. Decicrate

Decicrate Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67
    Something like this.....

mark.jpg

[​IMG]

20. 383 hatch

383 hatch Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
    Look, no doubt they go pretty good in a light car. Mine went good, was definately fun to drive. However, i got to the point where i was going to have to throw a lot more money at it to go any faster as i'd gone about as far as you can go in terms of bolt on mods. Sure, people like Decicrate have certainly pushed the envelope to see how far they can go and i respect that, but for me i decided to go for what i thought was a better option for my situation. With bolt on mods, you get pretty good power for dollar value, but IMO, once you start cracking open the engine, that power for dollar value diminishes.

For the record, i am in no way trying to run down the L67, i think they're not a bad thing, that's just my experience/thoughts.