Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

Discussion in 'Straight 6 Development And Modification' started by patto848, Nov 10, 2014.

1. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    That'll work

2. Decicrate

Decicrate Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67

The good thing about when you post is that you have actually had a L67, and for quite sometime followed the L67 scene so you actually know what you are on about.

So many arm chair experts on this forum that have not got a single clue at all about what they are talking about.......

3. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    But we all said pretty much the exact same thing.

They are not a bad engine, if you have the cash to throw at it.

As soon as you get past the bolt on mods, they are expensive to get what is in comparison, smaller power from. It doesnt take owning one to know this nor should it be a requirement of owning one to comment on that FACT. Ive seen countless people both on forums and in my friend circle spend thousands upon thousands on L67s and barely crack what a VX SS has with a tune and OTR and this is my one and only beef with this engine.

I dont have an issue with anyone who wants to modify or who owns an L67, everyone has a tuned LS and a good L67 is surprising. What I have an issue with is the assumption from some people that they are easy to get power from and people who expect similar power figures to other engines.

4. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I'm talking in terms of practicality, not performance. Obviously if money is no object, or you don't do much driving then it's not worth it. If you live in the middle of nowhere like myself and everything's quite far away, then it's a very viable option. $45 for 500km+, it's awesome.

When I said 'best of all', it wasn't supposed to be taken THAT seriously. It's just another advantage if you don't have cash to throw around. And if done properly, there is no noticeable loss in performance. The people who hate lpg don't understand it, or have had bad experiences with dodgy installations.

5. 383 hatch

383 hatch Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
    I'm not going to get involved in a debate about LPG (this thread has enough debates going already). However, I understand how LPG works and it really is a junk product. It's a short term gain, long term loss type of deal.

6. Decicrate

Decicrate Member

Members Ride:
    VS L67
    They are like any other engine, the more you throw at them the more you get out of them. It really comes down to what the owner of the car wants at the end of the day.
    Some may want a 1/4 mile racer some may only want a 10PSI upgrade and nothing more, some maybe happy with one in its stock form.

So if someone wants something with a nice amount of low end torque and is nice and snappy out of the blocks, then maybe a L67 is something that may tick the boxes.

You say that they get expensive after all the bolt on mods?? I find that the bolt on mods are the expensive part when it comes to these. I find that they are about the same price when compared to say a LS engine, forged pistons are about the same price, cams are about the same and to have any machine work done is a little cheaper.

Now by no way am I saying that the L67 is the greatest thing out there, I am a realist.

But bang for buck they are not as bad as some like to bang on about.
    Some parts are a little expensive, like cooler systems, but when you are producing small amounts dedicated to one style of engine that only had a handful released in Australia, compared to other engines, then of course they are going to be a bit more expensive.

I think that good information is always what should be given, not some diatribe, wheezed out by some arm chair expert......

Power figures.................. I don't know how many times people start to say that they don't make a bucket load of power, whilst this maybe true, what people do not understand is the torque figure.
    Understand the toque delivery, and then the power figure is not as important.
    If people looked at the 60ft times of a mild L67 they would be surprised at what they do.

I will agree that I too have seen many throw large amounts of money at these and go nowhere. Why? most because they tend to listen to the arm chair experts and not the guys that have the runs on the board.
    When you have a toothache you don't go and see a landscaper to have it fixed.

at the end of the day it is horses for courses, some will like the L67 and others won't, I have no issue with that.

It would be a boring world if we all had the same engine with the same cam and same OTR and the same tune...........

7. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    A few years back not long after we arrived from SA , we had a VS Calais , with the supercharged 6 , the only mods I did to it were a SS induction OTR intake , and a cat back exhaust , but even without those mods it was a good engine , enough power, passably economical if driven sedately , I always thought , that Holden missed a chance to really develop the L67, but lets be honest it's a dated engine , it was already probably passed it's best when Holden got hold of it as well . But it has a truck load of potential , if you have the wonga to throw at it .

8. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    No I mentioned it was more powerful, I knew one of the super 6 models was VERY close to the V8 version, a couple of kilowatts and the slight torque difference between the two was minimal.

I'm really not looking for this thread to go any further, but I'm glad some other people have admitted that the L67 isn't as bad as what it's always made out to be. I hope this is a positive step towards a more accepting forum, it shouldn't matter what engine your car has in it, as long as it drives and makes you happy.

9. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    So true....

10. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    WOW, I missed this thread.

Not that what you did wasn't impressive but how exactly did that end? If I remember correctly either blown head gaskets or broken pistons or both?

Sure you made good power however when someone like Holden release an engine they have to do it in a manor where they can ensure the engine will cope with crap fuel and what ever else cars deal with during their years of service as well as survive a reasonable amount of mileage. If Holden released a supercharged V6 based on what you had they would be broke with warranty repairs within a couple of years (and we won't talk about NVH, ADR or emissions compliance).

Peace out.

BTW, when Holden first used the L67 in the VS models the standard ecotec made 147kw, the 5litre V8 made 165kw which was the same as the L67 @ 165KW, the V8 makes 10Nm more torque but the L67 makes it's torque earlier in the power band. BTW BTW, the L67 used in the Commodores was borrowed directly from the US but detuned as they came out with 180kw/380Nm standard in the US in 1996. Holden also never used the newer version of the L67 (L32) which made more power again with a newer generation M90 blower.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. thestig

thestig resident misanthrope

Members Ride:
    E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
    It ended badly (head gasket) because I was impatient. As I already admitted in a previous post in this thread, I should have waited for the cooler before trying to beat the 4.9 second challenge. I would have continued with it using MLS gasket, cooler and 14PSI pulley if other priorities in life didn't get in the way. I still have all of the bolt-ons floating around. If you are patient enough you may see the old 3800 running 14PSI in my brother's E21. :)

I will concede some ground to your point on warranty, but still stand by my initial complaint.. 19kW extra @ 6psi is not that an impressive an outcome..

12. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    You should probably also note in my post about how Holden detuned the L67. No doubt it wouldn't have been a good look to have a V6 (supercharged or not) putting out more power than their flagship V8 model.

Not surprising really, they did exactly the same when they released the LS1 engines in the VT, 225kw first release when the exact same engine produced 245kw in the US.

Car manufacturers do some silly stuff that will never make sense to us mere mortals but it does give us mere mortals scope to improve and modify what they sell us :)