Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disconnecting transmission line.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Does anyone know where to get tool which disconnects the Trans steel line from the rubber hose. I've tried holden...they dont sell them.

hose.jpg

P1000343.jpg

P1000342.jpg

I’ve tried the tool in the picture below but it doesn’t work.

P1000345.jpg

jav360

Reaction score
Members Ride
1970 AMC javelin, S2 stagea
Those clips are used for high pressure fuel line removal, i'm pretty sure those lines are a fixed anyway, where did you get that picture from? A holden program called SIP? might be easier to undo the line from tha radiator if you wanna do a flush.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Thanks for the replies, I got it sorted.

Went to repco they only showed the tool in bottom pic above.

Went to a few transmission places. The first one said they have never had to disconnected it before and the second one said to cut the steel line.

I rang up SPX who make the tool for Holden, they said they don’t really sell to the public but have accounts through repco and bursons.

So I ended up getting it ordered and it came today (its expensive) and it worked...thank god.

That pic is from the Holden service manual.

Heres some pics of the tool and hose.

P1040358.jpg

P1040357.jpg

P1040352.jpg

I’m installing a couple of coolers.

P1040354.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Is that little plastic do-dad designed to release an internal spring clip that secures the line? How much was it, if I may ask. And was it simple to use?

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
I don't know if its possible but Ive heard that a Biro or texta cap can be cut to do the same job by cutting off the top end and cutting it down the side .
You can then stretch it over the line and depress the spring.
I personally don't know if it will work.

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Q1 Yes. Q2 It was, wait for it...$37, but im sure you could get it cheaper (I went through a few suppliers before it got to me). Q3 Dead simple to use.

I did try other things: Precision screwdrivers, sandpapering my original tool to make it fit (shown above), plastic cap covering tans cooler inlet. No luck with any of them. Used the right tool, they both can off in under a minute.

chameleon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon 2001
My first post. Everyone at Justcommodores has helped my 2 sons out so much. They've saved thousands by doing things themselves based on your collective advice.

So thanyou all.

I thought I better start myself. Haven't serviced a car in 20 years, but given the condition of our cars with the same mechanic for 10 years, I've decided that I can do a better job myself with your help.

So I've been doing the 105,000k service on my VZ.

I couldn't find the oil filter - its a different type than the old cans. JustCommodores to the rescue.

I cound't find the petrol filter - its under down the back! JustCommodores to the rescue.

And then I wanted to drain the transmission oil. This thread & photos really helped me out. Thanks IPCOlsenVZ !

Cause I'm a tight wad, I decided to save the $37 and cut the end of a silicon tube nozzle. Also I wanted to finish today (a public holiday). Because the nozzle is tapered I thought it might wedge under the ring, and it did. I cut the nozzle about 1/4 from the end, a strip about 10mm long. Then slit it to wrap around the alluminium pipe. Using a flat head screw driver I pushed the nozzle ring onto / under the end of the hose connection and with a bit of fiddling the connector came away. You can feel the plastic give a couple of mm when it slips under the metal cir-clip (ring).

I then ran the engine pointing the connector into a bucket and pumped most of the transmission oil out. I started with the right hand one (looking at the motor), as it's connected to the top of the radiator and the hose is "from" the pump.

When I tried removing the other one, I didn't have any success as the plasitc was getting crushed. So I cut another one and it worked well. Probably took me half an hour after reading this thread to do the job. I was then able to drain all the oil out of the radiator as well.

Cheers all.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
stupid question but where did you get hold of the service menu and failing that is it possible to obtain a copy of the service manual? We have 3 VZ's in my family, plus my mates 2 so it'd come in handy :thumbsup:

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe