Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Distance to empty Help

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
i think there is something wrong with my distance to empty reading on my vs calais. It drops quite significantly e.g it said i have 180kms but then drops to around 170 when i havent even barely done 10kms. What could be the problem. Im on my l's and I see the L/100km go up to around 30. How can i drive more efficiently and improve fuel consumption.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Stop starting, driving around town will cause the average to go up. Once you hit the highway it'll probably go back up and probably show more K's to empty..
Distance to empty isn't accurate on most cars anyway.. gives you an idea.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If you fill it up, reset the DTE and leave it idle for 20 min you will see your 600+km range dissapear. If you start driving you will see it come back slowly.

As previously said, stop start and slow speed driving will be less efficient than steady highway speed driving.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
watch the fuel gauge instead, it's a much better indicator.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Distance to Empty is based on the last halfhour of driving. If you are only doing short trips then the average is always going to be higher.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
e.g it said i have 180kms but then drops to around 170 when i havent even barely done 10kms. What could be the problem.
As the others have eluded to, DTE is an estimate of how far you will go on whats left in the tank with current driving habits, put your foot down and DTE drops, idle away for 30min and DTE rises.

How can i drive more efficiently and improve fuel consumption.
Your lucky to have a Calais with these options.
Switch the mode of the dash to instant and concentrate on that, you will soon see the relativity of throttle opening to fuel consumption.

Clubby_Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby 1109 build number
VR38 is right.. your DTE goes off your average fuel consumption so when it goes up your DTE goes down..
My DTE says 0k left as soon as my reserve light comes on so i know i only got 40-50 k left since its only 6l reserve