Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

distortion through speakers

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
G'day guys
i did a quick search for my problem but come up empty handed. apologies if it has been asked before.
Recently installed a new system in the VS, wich includes my first new front speakers (yay) lol
however, when turning on the car for the first 10 minutes or so, i can hear a buzzing noise from the driver's front speaker. This isn't the typical 'engine/rpm' noise that many people get. it sounds distorted and almost as if the speaker itself is blown.
It happens only within a certain volume range (2-6 on my Pioneer DVD player) after that it can't be heard. then if it is turned down within half an hour or so, the distortion sound is gone.
for some strange reason, i found it usually when the car is cold (early mornings, late nights etc). i don't know if that can be attributed to anything... the speakers are connected to a 4 channel amp.

i will be looking at it again this weekend, but i'd appreciate it if people could suggest what im looking for exactly.
any help much appreciated.
cheers
CC

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I'd redo the wiring to that speaker as my first step.

Cheers for the suggestion mate. Didn't get the chance to pull it apart over the weekend, but will definately look into replacing it. I tuned it again however, so it's clearer, but get up this morning for work and sure enough it's buzzing again. Hmmm...

most likely the ground cable

Affecting only one speaker?

If the ground was intermittently bad the fault should be with all speakers.

I think if it's the ground, isn't that what attibutes to the RPM sound through the speakers? Or is that something else?

Cheers guys
CC

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Just a thought.... Check the speaker connections from the amp. The polarity's might be wrong for the speaker or another way by checking is by swapping the left with right speaker wires at the amp to see if the left speaker will distort. By doing this it helps solve the problem, least you'll know it's either the speaker or the amp.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'd try swapping the front channel L/R RCAs too, too see if it's the source / RCAs, or the amp. If swapping the front two around at the amp makes no change, I'd be blaming the amp and swapping the two front speaker cables over on the amp around as mentioned earlier. If then the distortion sound swaps to the opposite speaker, you could have a baked/dud amplifier internal.

Another thing to consider is Pioneer headunits have a fusible link earthing the rca leads (to stop amps earthing through the headunit in certain circumstances), this link is easily blown. You can test if this is the case by earthing a length of wire, and touching the opposite bare end on the shielding of the rca lead in question.

Good luck!

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
cheers guys, will have to look into it at some stage during the weekend. much appreciated
CC

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
I had the same problem when I got the install done on my car earlier this year. Took it back to the place that it got done, took them about 10 minutes to find a particular fuse that was loose (or something along those lines :p ) and it's never happened since.

I know that's not the sort of DIY type of advice that most ppl want but hey, if you don't manage to fix it yourself, take it to the pros :)

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
any kind of advice is good advice to me mate, cheers for that somethign else to look into