Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY ceramic coat paint protection.

DJ_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II. SS V Redline
I've decided, for a few reasons, to DIY ceramic paint protection.

I've always been keen on detailing my own vehicles. Over the last few weeks I've read a heap of stuff and watched dozens of YouTube videos (I'll link the ones that are most useful) and I'm taking the plunge this weekend.

I'd love to have 2 clear days in front of me but with a family and possible work issues it may not be possible so I have a contingency plan should the time not be there or it takes longer than I estimated. Anyway, I start today!

Anyone who has done this previously knows that 80+% of the work is in the preparation. Not having the right surface to coat will lead to failure. So today is about getting the paint clean, decontaminated and machine polished (time allowing).

I also plan on coating the painted rims but this may have to be another weekend.

The vehicle is a Commodore Motorsport Edition. Picked up new on 17th Jan. Done about 2300kms. Given the vehicles newness I'm hoping the paint will be in pretty good condition, although there are a couple of issues to deal with, one is the free Holden Dealer scratches and swirls (one reason I won't get paint protection done at the Dealership) and the other is a nightmare scratch on a door....more on this in a later post.

I'll report back as I can.

DJ_m

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
good luck with it mate, I did my own, I received my car in wraps from the factory as requested so no marks or scratches, could have polished lightly but I thought it was overkill to touch new paint. I prepsoled the car then coated it with C-quartz Uk edition.

DJ_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II. SS V Redline
good luck with it mate, I did my own, I received my car in wraps from the factory as requested so no marks or scratches, could have polished lightly but I thought it was overkill to touch new paint. I prepsoled the car then coated it with C-quartz Uk edition.

How long ago did you apply? Happy with the results? Probably overkill to polish if the car came in factory wrap.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I had mine done professionally. After an alcohol preparation. I had Gtechnic crystal serum ultra applied. Normally only sold to detailers. Bonds in seconds and dries fast. Really needs 2 people, very small sections at a time and a torch etc. It needs the excess removed before it dries else you will be wet sanding the excess. So be careful, some ceramics are more forgiving than others in the application process.

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
How long ago did you apply? Happy with the results? Probably overkill to polish if the car came in factory wrap.
I recieved the car this time last year, so a year on 25th. Yeah i had photos somewhere came up crazy, CK quartz was easily available from Waxit in tullamarine after research i went with that product as it designed for harsh snow conditions overseas. I double coated the black roof to prevent the black being scratched even the slightest. Still to this day i have not washed the car with a mitt n bucket, basically i snow foam it, then microfibre towel with quick detailer or bowdens after glow.

I also use a top up product from Car pro which tops up the ceramic coating basically as long as i use that the coating wont come off for years ahead.

DJ_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II. SS V Redline
So, paint protection/ceramic coatings. I've probably had 7-8 new or demo cars that I have had paint protection applied. Results have been mixed. I've mostly had a positive experience. I don't believe much of the mumbo jumbo marketing fluff, after-all this is a microscopically thin layer of material on top of your clear coat. What I have found is that cleaning is much much easier and there is some protection against those small swirls and marks so long as you follow a decent cleaning routine.

I've not kept a car long enough for a real long term test but my last Redline had Opticoat Pro and over 2 years travelled 45,000 km on Melbourne's freeways. Finish was close to the same day it was applied in terms of ease of cleaning and water beading - I do often use a top coat of something that would help with water beading. I did have to clay the car (bonnet and front panels) after about 18 months.

Personally, I'd never have this kind of coating applied at the dealer because I have never had or seen a new car without some marks or swirls - the dealer will apply paint protection as they find the car with no paint correction or polishing. I have had good results with a professional detailer but not for under $1000. Time to DIY.

My MSE must have been sitting in the dealer yard for at least 6 months, maybe more. This is an idea of what she looked like when I first saw her.
IMG_6829.JPG
IMG_6830.JPG

I should have asked for the car not to be washed but forgot!

My setup is far from ideal as I don't currently have a garage. I do have a large carport so can get out of the sun and no rain forecast for a few days at least.

So I started on Friday about 9.30am. The car was pretty filthy given I had not washed it for 2300km travel on Melbourne's freeways. First a snow foam with Gyeon foam.

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

Looking better and not touched her yet.

IMG_6921.JPG

Wheel before snow foam.

IMG_6908.JPG

The snow foam does just melt away most dirt, and what it leaves is normally just a very gentle wipe from being gone. This car was filthy.

IMG_6923.JPG

Next is a good rinse with the pressure washer. Then time for a proper wash. Sometimes I use the two bucket method but today I applied soap from the pressure washer and washed with a microfibre mitt using a bucket with a grit guard and washboard to keep any stray grit off of the mitt, rinsed with the pressure washer and dried with a Ragmaster Twist & Shout (!) and a couple of waffle weave towels. Already looking pretty good.

IMG_6925.JPG
IMG_6928.JPG

It appears I've reached my picture limit! More soon...

Last edited:

DJ_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II. SS V Redline
That is an absolute disgrace.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Bear in mind I had not ordered it so it was just stock sitting in a yard - not on display etc. They'd obviously removed the factory wrap and it was just sitting right out the back in a corner under a tree! But, it was my local dealer, I liked silver and the deal was good.

To be honest, I'm kind of glad it was just left sitting rather than being wiped with a dirty chamois every day whilst out on display. Those cars had plenty of micro scratches and swirls. At least this one only went through one wash so the paint was actually in pretty good condition.

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
keep in mind the coating can fill minor imperfections also.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've got the same color so i can only say great choice ;)

However, i had the dealer apply paint protection, tint and a towbar.
It's the first time i've had paint protection and tint on a car.
Reading how bad dealers are at applying paint protection is not comforting :oops:
Admittedly, the paint protection looks OK but i have't taken a really really close look as yet :p
Sadly the dealer did not apply paint protection to the wheels which is rather anoying :(

Anyway, my tint may need to be replaced on one windows due to some small bubbles though it may be better to just live with it rather than have the dealer reapply tint so i just end up with bubbles somewhere else on the window o_O

Are bubbles on windows tint a problem that gets worse in time or will they remain as they currently are, small and innocuous?

As to washing the car, you seem to have a well sorted process :cool:
Snow foam looks like an interesting product as does the gritt guard and wasboard. Where did you buy these items from?

Looking forward to the pictures and writeup of the application of the paint protection.