Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diy closed door respray panel preperation only.

Vrhsvclubby95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr hsv clubsport, automatic 304
Gday first time posting thanks for having me. I am seeking some advice to help me in cutting cost on a closed door respray by doing the panel sanding and prep work myself. do's and donts, comon sense and prep tactics would be apreciated. Have 6 months to get it perfect for paint.There is probably threads on this but i couldnt find em. Im respraying a vr clubby.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm guessing since you're asking on a forum about prepping you probably don't have much experience? TBH chances are the panel shop won't want you trying to prep your bus as it needs to be perfect which is not a novice thing to achieve. I'd speak to the panel shop who will do the respray and ask them. If I was going to a shop I wouldn't bother doing anything myself as more than likely they will want to do the lot. The only thing I could do is strip paint for the panel beater. The rest they will want to do.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
As above.
Mate if you don`t do it right then you will be paying for them to fix it and redo prep

Vrhsvclubby95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr hsv clubsport, automatic 304
Yeah i dont have any experience in panel work and thankyou for straight forward opinions, thats what im chasing!! I have alot of homework ahead of me eitherway. Id recon ill strip it back myself and let the professionals take it from there, just trying to keep costs as low as possible. But still obtaining the best outcome.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not every car needs stripping and stripping the entire thing could create rust.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if you have no experience as above you are just likely to wreck it.

talk to the painter, VR Clubsports can't be that common anymore don't risk wrecking it to save a few bucks.

Last edited: