Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Differential Swap for VE Commodore

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Everyone,
Firstly, Thankyou in advance for any help that I receive.

I am looking at swapping my Differential during the Christmas Break.
(I have a second hand LSD Diff I wish to fit to my non LSD VE V8)

I have already sourced the Diff, and have had a quick look at the workshop manual.

I am wondering if anyone has done this themselves, and if anyone has any tips that they wish to share ????

I have extracted then following information from the workshop manual.

As always, a single line of information in a workshop manual can cause headache, blood, and pain in real life.

Is there anything in the following where I should be REALLY concerned ???

Cheers, and thanks again for any help !!!!

Remove the propeller shaft and rubber coupling from differential flange. Refer to Propeller Shaft Replacement.
•Remove the propeller shaft heat shield. Refer to Exhaust Heat Shield Replacement - Center.
Important: Observe the orientation of the rubber couplings with reference to the differential flange and the transmission flange. This will minimize the potential of incorrect propeller shaft installation.
•Mark the rubber coupling (1) in relation to the differential flange (2).
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft (2).
•Remove the rubber coupling to differential flange retaining bolts (1).
Important: Observe the orientation of the rubber couplings with reference to the differential flange and the transmission flange. This recommendation will minimize the potential of incorrect propeller shaft installation.
•Mark the rubber coupling (2) in relation to the transmission flange (1).
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft.
Important: Torque prevailing nuts with are single use parts and must be discarded after removal.
•Remove the rubber coupling to transmission flange retaining bolts (1) and torque prevailing nuts (2).
Discard the nuts.
Important: With the aid of an assistant or suitable jack support the propeller shaft (2).
•Remove the centre bearing to body retaining bolts (1).
•Disconnect the propeller shaft (2) from the differential flange.
•Remove the propeller shaft (2) from the vehicle.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I done my own, was pretty basic really. Just remember you'll need a wheel alignment after you're finished.
Check my ride for pics of the install, might help you a bit.