Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: ECU Scantools/Data Cables

breast69au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
after reading all of this has anybody tried on the VY Commodore??? and had success???

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
breast69au said:
after reading all of this has anybody tried on the VY Commodore??? and had success???
I haven't been game to try as I can't afford for the car to develope any problems from trying.
Only mode of transport and up in the bush.

Mike I tried the usb cable on a VS of a friends with the carbytes download.
Couldn't seem to get any thing back ? I was probably doing it all wrong but I turned the ignition on with engine not running, then plugged it in and selected chatter. Nothing happen.
Any suggestions ?

Last edited:

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
If it was a V8, I too have had some issues with the 8's. I am looking at a slightly different circuit, that should do the job. I keep youse posted on what I find.

Mike

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
michaelw said:
If it was a V8, I too have had some issues with the 8's. I am looking at a slightly different circuit, that should do the job. I keep youse posted on what I find.

Mike
No It was a ecotec V6, but like I say I've never tried this stuff before so highly possible that it is a fault of something I am doing (or not doing). Thinking about hiring a VY from a hire company and trying it ha ha. ( *honest it just died for no reason, bloody hire cars, send me another one*) :whistling

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Ahh will the reason for carbytes not working is that the definition file (there is only one) is for a VS V8. Try efilive v4.

Mike

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
michaelw said:
Ahh will the reason for carbytes not working is that the definition file (there is only one) is for a VS V8. Try efilive v4.

Mike

ahh thanks Mike, see I said I didn't know what I was doing so theres the proof. :)

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Look up. I have added information on the ALLOYTECH and LS2.

Mike

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
NEW INFORMATION: VS/VT V8's. I have added some information about these ecus that should solve comms problems.

Mike

B

brettless

Ls1 5.7 obd2

I have purchased a elm5 scantool which scans 9 obd2 protocols but it will not communicate with the VX 5.7 litre and have also tried it on a 2003 model Vu ss commodore ute and had the same result.I have been told and now tend to believe that these models are not obd2 compliant although aussie commodores use the obd2 type plug.The unit will work on a 2004 model ford so the unit does work.There is a lot of info out there but be careful as a lot comes from the states and does not appear to apply with our vehicles.
Cheers

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Welcome to the madhouse brett, I have sold elm322 units to a few people on this forum and on ebay (at least one owned a VX 5.7) and they have worked.

Do you happen to know what chip the scantool is running, I guess it is the elm327? and also was your computer in anyway connected to the car's electrical system (obviously other than the scan tool), for example an inverter or lcd screen.

Mike