Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: ECU Scantools/Data Cables

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
Hmmm, thanks for the info - I get the beep & the usual warning lights flashing, as described in the "readme"'s.... but I can't even get those gauges working - nothing on my EFI Dashboard responds, only a few of the the raw data & graphs, & I don't think there is one for engine timing... may be because I have a VX? I guess I'll have to wait & see what other feedback there is....

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
So it displays data for a bit then shuts off? The logging on the trial version of the software is limited to about 20 seconds. But you should be able to get live data. When you select the engine data macro and then go aldl->start what does the tab for the dashboard display?

The vx does not have too much data on it at the moment. but you should get some sings of life. If you have no joy I will sort something out.

Mike

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
As the trial version is limited, you cannot display many graphs at once BUT you can change what is displayed. Right click on an active graph and then follow the menu to get what you want to read.

Mike

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
G'day.
Just wondering if I supply the 16 pin plug and any other needed supplies coukd you make a aldl to usb cabke for me, I used to be ablr to do this kind of stuff myself, but my nerves are shot and I shake too much to solder now.
I am looking to run a linux backend off an old lappy to run gps, mp3, and diags, and maybe sum old skool games :D

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
Hi...I'm having trouble getting the codes with the engine light. I inserted the paper clip into pins A & B in the diagnostic plug, turn the key to on (all the right things light up), the engine (thermo) fan comes on, but the engine light doesn't come on, so there is no flashing codes. Is this a common problem?...could it be something wrong with the ECU? I thought if there was a problem with the ECU I'd get a 55 code, but its hard to get that when the engine light dosn't come on. With the paper clip out, the engine light will come on when car is first started, but goes out with the battery & oil lights once the engine fires. Any and all help needed and appreciated.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
A question about the Jaycar plugs....

I've noticed that internally there is a link between pins 4 and 5. I've had a look at the connector in my VZ and it looks that both pins 4 and 5 are used.

Question is - if I plug this Jaycar plug into the socket I'll be shorting these pins together in the harness. Is this going to blow something up? Or is this connection necessary to establish comms??

Any help much appreciated. Thanx! :thumbsup:

ren11000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE A4
pins 4 and 5 are earth wires

Attachments

• aldl.jpg
    aldl.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,666

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
Can you make your own scan tool for a VZ with a Alloytech?

Id love to own one so i can see the codes/faults

EDIT, i have seen complete handheld units on ebay, do they work?

Last edited:

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
Bump this thread up, ive been looking into a complete scan tool, these are the two that impress me the most:

U581 CAN Trouble Code Reader OBDII/EOBDII Memo Scanner - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Jan-09 10:45:00 AEDST)

and

eBay Motors: OBDII EOBD Scanner Tool CAN-BUS OBD2 Reader GS500 (item 260350550151 end time Jan-24-09 13:02:22 PST)

What do you guys think, or am i better off using a lead and my laptop(has to be USB)

Unless you can do more stuff with the laptop id rather have the handheld unit

So any ideas would be great right about now

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I have not had the time to look into CAN OBD yet. There are DIY units but I haven't built one yet. I suspect that the CAN handheld will work but it would be a guess. The Alloytech runs OBD CAN so the ALDL and OBD VPW described here won't work.

Mike