Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Gym Equipment

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hey All,

Normally I do my workouts at the fire station gym (being retained with FRNSW means I can!) but I'm on annual leave for 2 weeks so not allowed to...

So I figured I'd finally spend the money and build myself a new home gym, to replace my old one which was falling apart due to soaking in dampness all year around.

All up the cost was about $180 from Bunnings:

4x 400x250 carinya 'stay brackets' - $9.80 each
4x 150x120 light carinya 'stay brackets' - $2.90 each
2x packets of 60mm self-drilling treated pine screws
2x carinya 'angle brackets' - $1.70 each
10x 200x50mm 1.8m treated pine sleepers - $8.44 each
2x 200x50mm 1.2m treated pine sleepers - $4.88 each
6x 1.5"x3"x2.4m posts - $2.75 each

I already owned the small bolts I used on the squat rack brackets, but add a couple more dollars for those. I also used a hammer to snap off the ends of screws sticking too far through the pullup bar and squat rack posts, since I really didn't want to go up the street for a third time today :)

I will probably replace the pullup bar posts with better quality, less flexible ones eventually, but these should do for now. I've done a few pullups - kipping and strict and it's stable, a little side to side movement on the kips but that's all. I'm also not happy with how I've anchored the pullup bar itself as I think the nails will probably eventually snap so I'm just trying to think of a way to lock it more effectively. I'm thinking something to do with hose clamps and an anchor point will work and be cheap.

New Home Gym Photos by davidparta | Photobucket

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Not one part of this looks safe to me, But good work!

For that price you could've purchased used equipment.

Cheers
Mat

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I don't have room indoors for any equipment - used or otherwise, and I wouldn't be leaving a squat rack outside in the weather.

On my old set up, which was less sturdy than this one, I had at least 130kg loaded up on the rack using single brackets on each side and had no dramas. I'm not squatting that much weight at the moment and I've already tested the rack and it is fine, although I am planning on putting a cross beam at the top with brackets to eliminate side to side movement, I just didn't think of that when I was buying the parts.

Also... second hand pullup bar? Where? :p

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Little something I whipped up at work on a quiet day . . . Crank out some weighted dips

facebook_-1396466836jpg_zps1658442c.jpg

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Haha, love it! I bet that chain digs in a bit worse than the martial arts belt I use

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Haha, love it! I bet that chain digs in a bit worse than the martial arts belt I use

It's a nice thick chain so not to bad hardest thing was keeping it there . Made me realise how much easier the dip belt makes it . I also have Just used coils and coils of heavy chain around my neck for dips ... that really puts the pressure on

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
One of the guys I used to work with has won some amateur bodybuilding comps, used to use 15-20lt tons of paint at work to get a session in.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Nice!

I have reinforced my little home gym somewhat. I added the same sort of treated pine sleepers as the base along with the existing 2x4s for the pullup bar posts now, and I added some lateral cross braces for the squat rack posts so there's no more side to side movement. I'll take a photo in better light tomorrow :)

Did a workout involving a lot of kipping muscle-ups this evening and it didn't make any scary/breakage noises so I think I'm sweet :)