Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diy motor swap for vt missing

H

horndog

found a good motor at right price and now going to attemp to install it my self has anybody dun there own ? is there any surprizes i need to know or is the gregorys manual is enuff:my surport to do the job :my:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
How are you gonna take the motor out and put the new motor in? It will be a bit harder then replacing batteries in a remote..

You'll need an engine stand and something to get the thing out..

Have you got much experience with cars or is this something you're attempting to do with only the knowledge of the Gregory's?

H

horndog

useto play with holdens but nothing past a vk and yes hiring a engine crane but just wanted to know if it just as easy as doing an old v8 or red motor

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Oh good, at least you have previous mechanical knowledge. I thought it may be a case of someone finding a Gregory's and thinking it makes them a fully qualified mechanic..

If you knew what you were doing with the VK's, then you should be right..

Gregory's is pretty good with the steps. It tells you everything that needs to be done. Follow it to the letter and you should be right.

H

horndog

do you need that motor chip to make it run or the one in my car do the job

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think it would be a lot easier to fix the miss. If that's all the problem is then it can't be too difficult to sort it out. Take it to a decent mechanic, it will be a lot cheaper than replacing the engine.

H

horndog

had a mecanic look at it and told me it was exhausting back into the manifold through cyl 2 & 6 dont want to spend a foturne trying to find out that i still need to replace the motor maybe cheaper but dont know could only be a valve but just dont know

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Just a quick question, SAY i had a VT in fairly good condition (i.e well looked after) and had done about 250,000. Would it be worthwhile replacing the engine, and what else would need replacing?

Who do i take it to to get a new engine put in, what other parts are likely to be needed to be upgraded, and whats the cost going to be all up?

*Broad question i know, and im sorry, just want a rough price thats all*

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have no idea on price but there are places that specialize in reconditioned engines that can also fit it for you. Check your local yellow pages under reconditioned engines.If your engine is still running good and your only concern is that it has done 250,000ks, don't worry too much about that, you can get a lot more out of them if they are looked after.