Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY or professional installation

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Hey guys, in a bit of a pickle, installed 6" 300W JVC speakers in the rear and 4" 180W JVC speakers in the front of my car the other week (just cut and replaced factorys), since then iv picked up a Clarion 600W proaudio sub with a kenwood amp mounted on the box, a new clarion headunit, clarion 4 channel amp (ill run the rears and fronts off it) and a capacitor! Just wondering how much youz reckon those 'pros' at jb or autobarn would charge to install it all...i think it might b a bit out of my league installing it all...what do youz reckon?

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
installing the amp, and head unit isnt hard at all.
you just need a test light.
as for the capacitor i have no clue.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i cant really draw a diagram for ya for ya cap but i can tell ya that ur gunna get charged about $75 an hour for installation :)

ok heres my try at a shitty wiring diagram for a cap
Note: **DO NOT TRY IT UNLESS sum1 else on here like StoneX or 12Voltking says its ok lol :p

----- = Power Wire, i'd recommend 4 gauge if u havnt got any wiring yet

|Battery| ---------- |cap|-----|amp|

i was told u can earth your amp thru your cap but i earthed my cap and my Amp seperatly, once again im not sure :)

like i said dont go "sweet i'll go try that now" coz im pretty sure that will be ok but if it aint then it goes ..... BANG .... and then u come in here like "Daz ya fatass ya broke me sh*t and im all like ...... nah ah ..... :p

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
i've seen a lot of hatred directed towards capacitors and i'm not going to contest that considering i've never used one. If you really still want it in there i've also heard it's best to have it as close to the amp as possible (i.e. shorter run of wire going from cap to amp = better). Anyways, let us all know how everything turns out.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yeh i forget to mention that, my power wire from cap to amp is only about 1ft, prolly closer to 1.5ft. Earth wire should be as short as possible aswell. but its hard to get everything right with this car audio crap :p

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
thanx guys, went down auto barn and the bloke said he'd do it all for $200...i think thats a pretty reasonable price! He said itd be $70 cheaper if i swapped the headunits over myself which ill do coz thats a piece of cake!