Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

matt_hayward

donations to my project?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e & vk
almost as good as my $68 paint job. i love my barina:wax: nah that is amzing! GREAT EFFORT! IMGP0918.jpg

IMGP0919.jpg

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Mate great job!

I know first hard how hard it is to roller, especially if you've never done it before but it becomes an art and you learn little tricks! Like you I can get panels turn out like they have been sprayed and the owner cant tell the difference. Once we rollered the stabilisers on a Boeing 747 because we weren’t aloud to spray. The next day we had the head of engineering come up to us FURIOUS saying I told you not to spray, he wouldn’t believe us that we had rollered it and had to ask several other engineers to back our story up. We got the same finish off the roller as off a spray gun without wet rubbing. Looked great.

I can only dread the amount of wet sanding that must have gone on with it! Do you still have fingerprints? lol I was wet rubbing my jetski down after about 7 coats of clear, then all of a sudden the water started going red, I literally worked my fingers to the bone!! Hurt for weeks!

More photos! :thumbsup:

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Mate that looks awesome!! I thought you had used some left over house paint on your car. I was waiting for a laugh, but that looks so good!!

Funny Barina, i LOL'd....

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
I can only dread the amount of wet sanding that must have gone on with it! Do you still have fingerprints? lol I was wet rubbing my jetski down after about 7 coats of clear, then all of a sudden the water started going red, I literally worked my fingers to the bone!! Hurt for weeks!

More photos! :thumbsup:

More photo's here, even some "magazine worthy ones" LOL.

Yeah, after the first few days I noticed my finger tips were gone and had small blood pools coming from all my fingers. It killed as you said then I wore rubber gloves. Ended up wearing the finger tips in the rubber gloves away too!

matt_hayward said:
almost as good as my $68 paint job. i love my barina:wax: nah that is amzing! GREAT EFFORT!
Love the army colours on the Barina, good stuff!! :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Bloody OUTSTANDING wilso - in fact it beats many spray jobs I've seen!! :thumbsup:

And you're on a winner with the Poly enamel too I reckon - SO much more durable than acrylic lacquer.

A very large WELL DONE mate!

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
wow really awesome job mate, puts the other paintbrush backyards to shame.

hows the guns? no need to go to the gym eh? hehe

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
I think I might have to give this a crack once all the other stupid vehicles leave my garage, the poor ol' VK is out the front, dying to look as neat as your wagon.

Well done mate, looks amazing!

XeKToReX

smooth92vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
thats an incredible paint job wen all is considered... u wouldnt want to touch another piece of sand paper ever again haha... good effort!

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Hey,

I saw this yesterday and I went home and talked about it with my partner, didn't think she'd let me play around with the car like this.. but she said I can do it if i want too and spend the money to do it as well... so now that she said I can I need to see if I can get some help from you?

The result looks too good to be true but from the feedback I have to believe it, so I'm going to try it.

Few questions..
  • Does I have to be hand sand papered, can I get a handheld machine to do it?
  • Whats the average cost to do this in the same color as you did (its going to be applied to a VT commodore) im guessing similar $200 mark.
  • Will I need to garage it when im away... like at work.
  • Must the car panels come off? (of course ill strip the body kit but the panels itself...)
  • Will Vicroads charge me any fees changing the colour of my car, or is it a matter of just letting them know the change in color?
  • anything important I should know?
  • Will i need a different primer or anything to paint the fiberglass (body kit?)

I'm in Melbourne, I sometimes go to IBM in Ballerat but its rare so I don't think there's any possibility in ever seeing your car for real! If I take up alot of your time asking questions.. I'll be happy to pay you some money for helping me complete it as this is more a project than to save money or anything like that.. the result I saw looks better than the result my friend got from a pro job done so =/

Look forward to hearing from you. I've attached pix of the car im going to change... BTW i'm aware that the body kit will also need to be either changed to black OR repainted (can they be repainted using same method?)

Last edited: