Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kimfoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB
Dont use toplac.

I've done a car with brightside and although it turned out to be a joke compared to laquer, the paint was relatively tough (for enamel) and could be repaired with the spraycans of putty and primer you can get at shops.

The next car I spraypainted with brightside bit by bit with a cheap compressor and gun. Much less sanding was required. However, when I went to get another 1L can I found out that they no longer have it (in australia at least) and I was charged more for less volume (750ml) of toplac.

Toplac did not match the brightside and I had to go over the panels. But here is the problem. Toplac is just Alkyd Enamel with some silicones for easy levelling. Alkyl is the crap that has not been used on cars for a very long time because it is soft and easily comes off when scratched by trollies etc. Usually an enamel hardener is mixed to make it set harder.

But the biggest problem by far is that if you ever need to repair it you can never use any of the common sprays and putties based on lacquer. With Brightside you can.

Now thanks to Toplac I need to strip 2 doors, bonnet and front sides because just a few stray squirts of primer on an adjacent panel have bubbled and lifted the paint.

Guys, it lifts within 5 seconds of any thinner touching it even after weeks of drying.

Boating shops have other brands of urethane paint, get them if you must use the roll and tip on your commodore. But remember that the roll and tip for cars is popular in the US because they mostly dont have lacquer any more, which is just so easy to spray because it dries in a flash. They use 2 pack whi

kimfoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB
OK here is a quick update. The toplac was removed very easily from the panels. Even after weeks of drying, once I got it peeling with a scraper, it just peeled off in long strips of plastic. It never really adhered to the acrylic paint/primer below. Because of its plasticity it would be very hard to fix any future scratches.

The other car done with a roller and brightside was used as a test for direct spraying of acrylic lacquer. I used a cheap wagner gun from bunnings. NOT the airless one but the one that has a separate vacuum cleaner type blower.
The brighside had no problems dealing with the lacquer unlike the topside.

4 coats of colour and 8 of clear were done in less than 2 hours and it was already hard enough to sand at night. I didnt have to worry about cleaning the gunquickly before the paint set, because lacquer only dries by evaporation and the paint in the tin will last decades unlike the enamel.

So if anyone is contemplating rolling the car with toplac. PLEASE DONT. An enamel hardner must be used but it will make the whole rolling and tipping a nightmare. Only use urethane boat paint suitable for rolling and tipping.

I was scared of lacquer , the compressor, the masking etc. but with a wagner air sprayer I now appreciate the immense versatility of lacquer over any enamel.

CrazyPriusDriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Prius
OK here is a quick update. The toplac was removed very easily from the panels. Even after weeks of drying, once I got it peeling with a scraper, it just peeled off in long strips of plastic. It never really adhered to the acrylic paint/primer below. Because of its plasticity it would be very hard to fix any future scratches.
I wish I had read this thread to the end before painting the roof of my silver Toyota Prius 2004. It looks OK. I am up to my fifth coat using a roller and International Toplac paint in the colour jet black. It looks OK. Just as well I am only doing the roof.

butch123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu/vy maloo
This is insane! I've heard of people found this but I've never seen photo proof of it

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Been awhile since I posted in here. I still have the wagon and the paint is still looking great, just a matter of keeping the wax up.

Also put the wag's on club rego as its now 25 years old. Keeping it for the long haul.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 10887079_10152909555315991_3510315102223250722_o .jpg
    10887079_10152909555315991_3510315102223250722_o .jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 680

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
Been awhile since I posted in here. I still have the wagon and the paint is still looking great, just a matter of keeping the wax up.

Also put the wag's on club rego as its now 25 years old. Keeping it for the long haul.

Enjoy.

Looks good. How often do you wax the car?

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Looks good. How often do you wax the car?

Come to think of it, its the usual 3 or 4 times a year even though for the last 2 years it hasn't been out as often as I have a new daily driver.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Still got the car mate?