Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: Removing those pesky door moulds

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
is there any other way to remove the glue then with a caramel wheel. any solvents work?

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
I found a much faster way to get the strips off.

I spent ages trying with fishing line/hair dryer and eventually got the small front one off, then on the other side i couldnt help but dig into the plastic and not the glue, but eventually got it off.

Then, I had a mate come around, wedge the piece I had taken off already underneath the larger door strips, and pull them off with his bare hands (slowly, as to be carefull) but they were all gone within about 5 mins :D

Now just gota get this sikaflex off, finally found a caramel wheel!

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
lol i tried getting one of the smaller strips off today.. was there with a hairdryer and fishing line for about 5 minutes till i realised this wasnt gonna take 30 minutes.. I was scared i was cutting into the paint or if the strip was screwed into the body. lucky i read this thread before i took the first one off, 10 hours!!
Good thread though mate.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01

sprocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec SII
We'll ive finally finished mine! An hour here, an hour there, and eventually the're all off! All but a small bit of sikaflex on the back door. My caramel wheel is that worn down and rounded, that i cant get it into the corner of the door mould. On my VT, unlike the VZ in the original post, the groove is much smaller and thus you have to use the caramel wheel on an angle, meaning it wears unevenly.

To fix though, I just grinded against the kerb untill it was square again :p

Looks awesome, will have to get some pics up asap.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
We'll ive finally finished mine! An hour here, an hour there, and eventually the're all off! All but a small bit of sikaflex on the back door. My caramel wheel is that worn down and rounded, that i cant get it into the corner of the door mould. On my VT, unlike the VZ in the original post, the groove is much smaller and thus you have to use the caramel wheel on an angle, meaning it wears unevenly.

To fix though, I just grinded against the kerb untill it was square again :p

Looks awesome, will have to get some pics up asap.

i did my whole vx and used about 60% of the wheel, but your exactly right, you have to angle it a bit on the groove.

SENNY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator LS1
just do it urself it isnt hard with some metho and wax and grease remover and some muscle

DvS_Ls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS
where abouts do i find a caramel wheel im in melbourne around sunshine