Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY rev limiter

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Since my bro revs the crap outta the 253 in our race car, I'm thinkin it's time to do sumfin about it. The current cam runs out at 6200rpm, and he revs it higher then that. It's just something to do with the adrenaline, and coz he's trying to focus on keeping it in a straight line, so he doesn't pay any attention to the tacho.

Now that we're gonna slap the 308 in, we're also gonna buy a smaller cam more suited to dirt circuit racing instead of using the big one which is to big.

I read this topic on the rollaclub forums...
Home Made Rev-limiter For Carby Car - rollaclub.com

Wat they're doing is using a changeover relay, which gets it's signal from the shift light on the tacho. So when the shift light comes on, it switches the relay to the other post (which has nothing on it), and the 1st post (sry don't know which pins are wat :p) is connected to the coil, so when it switches it cuts out the coil.

They say the safest way is cutting the earth, but how do u cut the earth on a coil on the Holden V8's? It just earths out through the motor hey?

Anyone know how I can make this work?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
pull the negitive side of the coil to ground with the relay is the safest way

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
So just earth out the negative post of the coil, with the relay in the middle? So earthing it out shuts it off?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip ...........

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
It bloody works.....got it first time! Using the cheap tacho's don't work tho coz the signal for the shift light is weird. Used an autometer tacho, and killed it trying to test a few things....so when I made the loom I made sure I put a fuse in it haha, don't wanna kill another one.

Here's a clip of it on our other dirt circuit car, a HQ Kingy.
YouTube - HQ Kingswood 202 rev limiter

shiftlight_rev_limiter.jpg

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nice pretty soft limiter too

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Man if you still have HQ's out there in the desert I need to go for a trip and find one

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Man if you still have HQ's out there in the desert I need to go for a trip and find one

lol ya prolly won't want one like this....it's got no windows and is barred out. :p

This pic was from when we took it out for it's first day on the track in like a decade. It use to race, and had a huge break when one of the local high schools got it, and yeah all the kids worked on it (even me and my little bro worked on it at high school back in the day), then it ended up on a teachers farm just sitting there, then someone else bought it and was sitting for a bit longer, then we saw it sitting there and asked if he'd sell it, and now we have it and my oldest bro races it. Downside is everyone at school used this to learn on, but the good side is they replaced a lot of stuff, like the motor has been rebuilt heaps of times, and the brakes have always been pulled apart and put back together.....altho the back ones are dodgy lol.

DSCF4083640x480.jpg