Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY VCM tune

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I've been reading about the VCM tune suite a bit, and searching these forums.

Unless I have a big flaw in my understanding, it seems that I could buy the software myself and play with the various parameters rather than taking the car to a shop. Now, I realise that a) I don't have the experience of a pro tuner and will not suddenly gain a bazilion kW and b) I could damage something if i get it FUBAR but I am the curious type and an electronics engineer by trade, so my intention is more to learn and amuse myself than anything else. If I can get some fuel economy or performance that's good too but is not the primary aim - if it was, I'd just take it to a pro!

I already have a cheap OBD scan tool and it's fascinating to me to see all the data, the VCM suite is the next step up: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../97205-obd-scan-tool-working.html#post1098919

So, does anyone know of a resource that show some common changes, such as the torque management disable that has been discussed? Or common spark advances for various octane fuels, stuff like that....or should we start one?

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
you might be best to just onto the vcm/hptuners forum mate you'll find a weathy of information there.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I've been reading about the VCM tune suite a bit, and searching these forums.

Unless I have a big flaw in my understanding, it seems that I could buy the software myself and play with the various parameters rather than taking the car to a shop. Now, I realise that a) I don't have the experience of a pro tuner and will not suddenly gain a bazilion kW and b) I could damage something if i get it FUBAR but I am the curious type and an electronics engineer by trade, so my intention is more to learn and amuse myself than anything else. If I can get some fuel economy or performance that's good too but is not the primary aim - if it was, I'd just take it to a pro!

I already have a cheap OBD scan tool and it's fascinating to me to see all the data, the VCM suite is the next step up: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../97205-obd-scan-tool-working.html#post1098919

So, does anyone know of a resource that show some common changes, such as the torque management disable that has been discussed? Or common spark advances for various octane fuels, stuff like that....or should we start one?

I'm an electrical engineer myself, programming is my life, but I'm just not game enough to stuff around with my daily. If I had another vehicle I'd do it but no, I'll leave it to the pros

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Live on the edge mate! :)

Seriously, I would not be messing with parameters that I don't know the effect of, but for things like spark advance, adjusting the parameter incrementally and keeping a record of the initial(factory) settings, I'm thinking for me personally the risk is minimal.

There's always the chance of a write stuffing up the ECU or similar, but the chances are so slim that IMHO it's worth a go.

There are thousands of people all around the world using this software, so I'd think that the major risk is fiddling with things you don't understand or pushing things too far - as above I am not planning to do either!

Since the cost of the suite and the cost of a single tune at my local are the same, I'm willing to spend the time learning how to use the tools.

Anyway, when/if I decide to go ahead and buy the tool I will update this thread with my (mis)adventures! :dance:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hey, well to do it properly there is a few things you need to know,

1, you will need a mpvi pro dongle, you can use the standard but it is limited
2, you will need a wideband oxy sensor interface, that will connect to the mpvi module

these things alone have cost me about $1600

having an sv6 i think they have wideband oxy sensors on the 190's so you may be able to get past that, and not worry about the wideband sensor and controller, which are roughly $270 bucks, although you may not get the ecm in open loop mode with them connected,

to tune, its not as simple as ticking boxes for torque management to get disabled etc, you have map tables with parameters that you change, you need to make a change, take for a drive, see how that change made the car feel, cehcak against the scanner for problems,

things seem easy but when you start making changes, check, realise that change has affected another parameter in a negative way and realise thats not going to work, change back to original and start from fresh again

ill get some snapshots later on

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
thanks for the wisdom andyman - I know exactly what you mean regarding the changes as I design power converters for a living - one small bloody change that you commit to production can have some knock on effect that changes the behaviour of something you never would have guessed in a million years....at least with the vehicle it is only one unit that is affected rather than 100,000 coming off a chinese production line!

However, there is one way and one way only to learn something, and that's by doing. :yeah:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
thanks for the wisdom andyman - I know exactly what you mean regarding the changes as I design power converters for a living - one small bloody change that you commit to production can have some knock on effect that changes the behaviour of something you never would have guessed in a million years....at least with the vehicle it is only one unit that is affected rather than 100,000 coming off a chinese production line!

However, there is one way and one way only to learn something, and that's by doing. :yeah:

thats it, if you have a bit of a bit of an understanding of how and engine management system runs and controls the motor, you can slowly make little changes as you go, just make sure you do one thing at a time, that way you can make sure you know what adjustment caused a problem

just make sure you buy the mpvi pro dongle