Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Window Tint

preston_e

VP For SALE!! :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8L v6
Wanted to get my windows tinted, called tint-a-car got a quote for abour $450 wwwaaaayyy too much for only working part-time.. :blah blah:

I think doing it your self is the way to go, it cost me about $20 for a 3 meter roll of 15% tint (I got 4 rolls and had some left over)Some of the tips i can give you is too take your time and really prep your windows well coz old tint, dirt and stuff like that is what causes bubbles and take your time with cutting the tint and putting the tint on.. the more time you spend the better it will look.. p.s removing my old tint wasn't a very fun job lol..

If anyone wants to know have i did it i can write it up just couldn't be bothered now let em know..

heres some before and after pics.

this is with no tint

01Before.jpg

15%

100_0445.jpg

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
I tinted my own windows years ago on a little thing i had that my parents bought me......Mum thought it hilarious to make Dad buy me a KA Ford laser....GROAN, but i tinted the windows myself. Was a bit funky at first and had to remove it and start again, but once i got the hang of it it actually turned out quite well. Ended up trading it in for more than what the folks paid for it and got my VN :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. Dad laughed and Mum was pi$$ed....but oh well lol.

Good job there buddy, well done for doing it yourself, it's turned ot great : )

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Wow, that looks great. Would you be able to do a writeup on it? I'd prefer to spend the time than pay 10 times the price... Ill just practise on my backyard car first. Good job :beer chug:

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
got mine for freeeeee

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
got mine for freeeeee

What did you get free?
im lookng at getting a darker tint to my car,
but the previous owner put a really light tint on already
when i go to somewhere to get it darker wil they remove it for me?
or will it cost extra ?
What? The really light tint? Good score man.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
im impressed. i assume you've had no training mate? obviously the finer points can only be seen up close... ive had 7 years of tinting experience under my belt, and from what i can see thats a nice job. i take my hat off to you good sir :)

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
lol no i got mine free see my ride.

was asking about a friends car with light tint, she wants it darker so i asked if it would cost extra to get darker

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
was asking about a friends car with light tint, she wants it darker so i asked if it would cost extra to get darker
all depends mate. from what i understand of that comment, her car is already tinted. if thats the case, then if the tint thats on there is is really good condition, you can tint straight over top of it and any honest tint shop wont charge you extra to tint over top. however, if its not in the best condition, they may want to take it off first before they tint it darker as it will make their job look bad. in which case will cost her extra. furthermore, i recommend then to remove the tint yourself. quite an easy task, however can be time consuming so bring your patience with you, and some obsessive compulsive disorder wont go a-stray lol. (needs to be spotless)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Nice job. Did you do the rear window aswell ?

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Tint-a-car quoted me $250 plus another 55 for removal of existing tint. This is on my Cressida, but still basically the same size, so thats kinda weird.