Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DJR Team Penske Cheating?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have no idea what .0035 inches is in the real world, but it must be a lot in the Supercar world...
That's 0.8mm more lift so must make some difference if it was intentional. It would have been interesting had they compared the ECU fuel tables between the Q (infringing) and R (legal) engine as more inlet valve lift with appropriate fueling must create more power. Even if fuel tables were the same, more valve lift on the exhuast side must help to evacuate the cylinders which can't hurt the fill side of the stroke ;)

Cheats really.... whether pushing boundries or however one wants to define it :p

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It wasn't that many years ago that DJR were always to the rear of the pack and going nowhere. It might be a coincidence but life has got better
for them since Penske came on board. We can only surmise. Their mustangs have had the legs on all the other cars for all but the last two races.
Scotty might be a fine driver but there is more to it than that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
"The valve lift of the inlet valves in the Q Engine (but not of the R Engine) was measured by Supercars Technical personnel to exceed the Maximum Valve Lift of 0.710” in 5 cylinders (highest recorded measurement 0.7135”.

I have no idea what .0035 inches is in the real world, but it must be a lot in the Supercar world. Nobody will remember it in 2021 anyhow.
Melbourne Storm had 2 NRL premierships stripped, plus other penalties, for cheating the salary-cap. People were outraged at the time, and nobody cares now.

It's **** all really, 0.004" is approx 0.1mm so to you and me it's not a lot but in engine building terms where clearances are measured down to .0001 you can see that .0035" is a fair chunk especially considering it is a control item and it would be rigorously checked during manufacture. The cam is the heart of the engine and everything is optimised to suit it to gain max performance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Oops, I missed a zero when calculating the metric equivalent in my post :confused:
0.0035" = 0.08mm ; maybe SFA is laymans terms.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's 0.8mm more lift so must make some difference if it was intentional. It would have been interesting had they compared the ECU fuel tables between the Q (infringing) and R (legal) engine as more inlet valve lift with appropriate fueling must create more power. Even if fuel tables were the same, more valve lift on the exhuast side must help to evacuate the cylinders which can't hurt the fill side of the stroke ;)

Cheats really.... whether pushing boundries or however one wants to define it :p

They alter fuel pressure (which also has set maximum and minimums) to adjust fuelling. I believe that is the function used to lean out the engine to save fuel.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The thing that one would have to wonder is, has this occurred during the season, yet has only been found during Bathurst? What other things have occurred, in "pushing" the boundaries, throughout the season?

The fine to me is a joke....Even removing Scotty's pole position is a joke....To be fair to everyone else in the field, the results for DJR should have been exclusion from the whole event....That's what occurred back in the 90's, when the Sierras were found to be using fuel additives (or something similar)

As for Scotty and his season.....Yes he has a stella season, but the cloud over what has occurred at Bathurst and what may have occurred throughout the season, certainly has to make you wonder what role this infringement and possible others have played in his season and what he actually knew.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing that one would have to wonder is, has this occurred during the season, yet has only been found during Bathurst? What other things have occurred, in "pushing" the boundaries, throughout the season?

The fine to me is a joke....Even removing Scotty's pole position is a joke....To be fair to everyone else in the field, the results for DJR should have been exclusion from the whole event....That's what occurred back in the 90's, when the Sierras were found to be using fuel additives (or something similar)..
The law considers anyone before the court innocent until proven guilty. If/When they are found guilty, their punishment is dependent on previous convictions amongst other crap (like poor childhood, not rich enough, too rich... just crap cry me a river excuses). It's the best we've come up with ;)Sports code rules of conduct mimic such logic.

Even though i suspect, once a cheat, always a cheat, laws/rules/codes all look at it differently.

In my view, punishments need to be far more severe for all offenses (even off ball assaults in football games where criminal law rather than code of conduct should rule).

But it's $$ that rule and it's business as usual :rolleyes:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Blatant cheating.....and then to throw the engine supplier under the bus is just bullsh!t.

All of their results from Bathurst should be scrubbed with a clear note that it was due to cheating.

Just another example of the greedy capitalist pig attitude that I expect prevails in the Penske organisation.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I don’t think car #12 should be included as the whole go slow thing is a separate issue that has been resolved this is all about car #17.
I think the car’s engines (everyone in the field) are checked every 2-3 rounds so you would think if anything like this has happened before Bathurst is would have come up before now.

Its definitely got to be an American thing because before Penske come along was there controversy like this?

Sh*t Red Bull dominated for like 7 years with out anything like this.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A few years ago Flavio Briatori was banned from F1 (he was the Renault team Principle) for making one of his drivers crash his car to manipulate the use of a safety car and help his team mate win. Clearly precedence is set in the FIA for severe punishment for people who manipulate race results. Considering the team possibly used multiple different methods to try manipulate the race outcome removing Penske from V8 Supercars isn't without merit.