Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DJR Team Penske Cheating?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I don’t think car #12 should be included as the whole go slow thing is a separate issue that has been resolved this is all about car #17.
I think the car’s engines (everyone in the field) are checked every 2-3 rounds so you would think if anything like this has happened before Bathurst is would have come up before now.

Its definitely got to be an American thing because before Penske come along was there controversy like this?

Sh*t Red Bull dominated for like 7 years with out anything like this.
Definitely have include car 12 incident as that proves the win at all cost attitude of the team, i mean hold up the field for number 1 driver, use illegal engine to snatch pole and break records. Everything they have done this year is tarnished. Bathurst win should be taken away from the team and strip all the team points of them just to let them know there actions won't be tolerated. The V8 racing category is struggling and things like this are the cause.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
A few years ago Flavio Briatori was banned from F1 (he was the Renault team Principle) for making one of his drivers crash his car to manipulate the use of a safety car and help his team mate win. Clearly precedence is set in the FIA for severe punishment for people who manipulate race results. Considering the team possibly used multiple different methods to try manipulate the race outcome removing Penske from V8 Supercars isn't without merit.

Unfortunately, I think F1 has a bit more power and ability / preparedness to waive goodbye to people / $$$ than Supercars.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess the bending/pushing of the rules beyond boundaries will continue because it seems that is what they like to do.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I seem to remember, a long Supercar time ago, that the COTF chassis and rules were to level the playing field and reign in costs. That has really achieved its aim, hasn’t it.
There is probably more cheating now by the big budget teams than before. The days of measuring a carby jet, valve size and wheel width are gone. With all the computerised technical stuff, the teams are well positioned to be miles ahead of the scrutineers for knowledge and tricks.
The whole circus has gotten out of hand for relevance, spectators and TV audiences are falling, and promotors have to rely on a dinosaur has-been rock group to generate interest.
Chuck out the rule book, may the biggest pockets win. I have always thought that F1 rules should be 4 wheels, 1 engine and if it fits in a certain size box, then it complies … what they do after that is open. But, at least stipulate that the Supercar body shape should be as original, not a Mustang which uses a Porsche 911 silhouette as a design starting point.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The law considers anyone before the court innocent until proven guilty. If/When they are found guilty, their punishment is dependent on previous convictions amongst other crap (like poor childhood, not rich enough, too rich... just crap cry me a river excuses). It's the best we've come up with ;)Sports code rules of conduct mimic such logic.

Even though i suspect, once a cheat, always a cheat, laws/rules/codes all look at it differently.

In my view, punishments need to be far more severe for all offenses (even off ball assaults in football games where criminal law rather than code of conduct should rule).

But it's $$ that rule and it's business as usual :rolleyes:

That's the unfortunate thing.....It does certain seem, that DJR team Penske has the finances to push the boundaries and when caught, get the slap on the wrist......Not really fair on the smaller budget teams and I suspect DJR will be more closely monitored in the coming years as a result

I won't get involved with the other sport discussion though, as I have a varying opinion to yours. We'll leave the discussion on the topic of DJR's indescretions

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Fair? I also feel sorry for the non cheating teams but it's nothing to do with fair, it's to do with $$.

At least the other DJRTP car got a massive $150k - $250k fine and a position demotion for their blocking tactics as it provided an(other) unfair advantage to their team mate. Yet the that team mate, who got pole using an illegal engine, gets to keep his win?

Something just doesn't smell right :confused:

Guess rules are set up with input from stake holders and sadly the ones with more $$ have the bigger voice.
Rules for the rule makers, others need not apply :oops:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
^ Fair? I also feel sorry for the non cheating teams but it's nothing to do with fair, it's to do with $$.

At least the other DJRTP car got a massive $150k - $250k fine and a position demotion for their blocking tactics as it provided an(other) unfair advantage to their team mate. Yet the that team mate, who got pole using an illegal engine, gets to keep his win?

Something just doesn't smell right :confused:

Guess rules are set up with input from stake holders and sadly the ones with more $$ have the bigger voice.
Rules for the rule makers, others need not apply :oops:
The sport is fucked ATM I've lost interest the car of the future **** has ruined it. Bring back hq racing( if any left)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, these latest episodes will turn more punters away. I generally only watch Bathurst and now that is screwed up too :(

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Just out of curiosity what happens with the money from the fines?

I think that is should be split between the lower ranked teams based on performance like 50% to the lowest team 30% to the next team 10% and 10% to the next bottom teams.
I think something like this could help with the massive money differences (not fix put help) and maybe bring some more competition from the lower teams.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just out of curiosity what happens with the money from the fines?...
Probably high fives and CEO bonus payments are increased :rolleyes: