Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do 20 inch rims ride & handle much differently to 19's

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi And thanks in advance for your opinions.
Are staggered 20's much different than staggered 19's in terms of ride ,steering response,general handling & road noise? I have a series 2 ssv with 25mm lower eibachs /bilsteins & need more grip to cope with 560rwhp.

Thanks again.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There’s way more difference, in terms of performance, between models of tyre in the same size than between the same model in a 19” and a 20”.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people fit 20’s for appearance, so it’s going to be difficult to find a review from someone who’s done a proper comparison using before & after tyres of similar quality.

What tyres are currently on it?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yes, they are different. I have one VF with 19's and one with 20's. 19's ride better. No doubt. Only the MRC counters that. They may also handle better, as the greater sidewall flex can help to soak up bumps on corners when the suspension is loaded up. In theory, the 20's should provide better traction. But, if I was building a VF track car I'd go 18's...
I assume you have 19's? If so I wouldn't change just to help handle the grunt. My Motorsport has a lot less power than yours, ~275rwkw and it easily breaks traction on the 20's in first and second gear. Give it a bit of throttle and it will break traction on take off, floor it and it lights them up, feed it a bit on a corner and it will kick sideways. The 20's don't make much difference. I'd stick with what you have and maybe look at getting some grippier tyres.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
18 by 8s rode better and kept traction better than 20 by 9.5s. 30 aspect ratio just isnt enough.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I recall Top Gear Aus doing a comparison between 19s & 20s on a VE around their test track.

19s were quicker.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
20's will handle just as well on the street as 19's and 18's.
If you are pushing it to find out the difference, God bless you.
Suspension setup and sticky rubber will have an even bigger impact.
If you are going to the track wear a set of 18's, dedicated track rims and tyres are a must in my opinion anyway.
Comfort over style will always be at the discretion of the owner.
Sexy low sidewalls versus comfy high walls.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not all about diameter either. If you're trying to lay rubber down you need to look at getting wider wheels also. Either way, if you're tracking it I'd run with a smaller diameter wheel (like a really wide 18 or 19). You'll also need to consider the costs of tyres as a consumable if you plan to go through a couple of sets a year.

Is this car for track or drag or do you not really do either?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
traction is about contact patch and stickyness. greater tyre width and aspect profile equals more rubber touching the surface when weight transfers to rear.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not all about diameter either. If you're trying to lay rubber down you need to look at getting wider wheels also.
Yes, I was going to say something about this, but I was too lazy to go looking for whether you can get tyres in the right sizes. For example if you're wearing 275mm 35-section at the rear, then by fitting a 19x10 back there you can probably push out to maybe 305 to 315 width but … do 30-section tyres give the correct rolling diameter? Can you get 25's?!