Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do changing same colour panels match?

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi, I have a Alpine white VN and my front left door needs to be replaced. I am just wondering if i get another door from a vn in the same paint code will it match the rest of the car? Thanks.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
most likily not.... paint fade etc... depends on how anal you are.... but you COULD buff the whole car afterwards and see what happens..

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
You have more of a chance being a solid colour. There are different variants for most colours though and allot of the time with cars this age bits and pieces of them have been resprayed over the years.

Get one anyway if you can because it's going to look better than having a phoenix red door on your car. If you get unlucky and it looks fairly out you can get it re done later.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Just because it's the same paint code doesn't mean it will be a perfect match. Apparently there are 4 variants of Heron (JF073) getting about....

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
What about paint? i got a small can of duplicolour to do a small touch up and the paint matched perfectly.. If i got a door and it does not match would a panel beater/ spray painter be able to paint it so it matched?

bnw69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan. VY Ute.
Depends a lot on the rest of the paint, if it is in good order it might come close otherwise they would need to blend it into the adjoining panels. Maybe take the car to a decent panel shop and ask their opinion, be a lot easier if they can see what they are working with. Dupli-color etc is ok for touch ups and small areas but doing a whole door you might get lucky and it will match close enough and if the adjoining panels are ok you might be able to polish them to match the new looking paint better. If you don't have any painting experience and want a good job talk to a pro and if you will be happy with close enough if you don't get it 100% give it a crack at home and see how you go.

bnw69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan. VY Ute.
Just to ad keep the wrecked door and paint it first for a practice run and see how you go.

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
White is the hardest colour to see and I have no doubt you would never tell it has been re finished if you took it to a qualified beater who knows what they are doing.