Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do country roads slope left???

DavoVP

Reaction score
Country roads raped my car. Only had one or 2 rattles After a 5r trip and bottoming out atleast 6 times my car sounds like a babies rattle.

I swear EVERYTHING rattles now.

I hate country roads in a lowerd car...............

But yes they slope whatever way they like.....and have odd looking holes in them, allover them everywhere they are ****.

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
country roads are built with a lot more camber from the start. Just because they don't get as much maintenance etc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Lol the bruce highway... Can't really call that a 'Road' can we?
No but it is a fairly well trafficked goat track.

You'll also notice on separated dual lane roads that the (inside) right lane tends inwards, and the left only ever so slightly left. This is because the majority or time Trucks and people with Trailers/Caravans spend their time in the left lane being overtaken, makes it easier than being pulled off the road by whatever they're towing.

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
All roads have camber designed into them to aid in drainage and the roads slope down from the centre 'crown.' Best practice road design dictates that there should always be positive camber, ie: vertical banking to the outside of the curve, however, it is not always possible due to the environment surrounding the road, as well as a myriad of other factors.

cheers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I ended up finding out that the Benz camber is not adjustable. So I purchased an upgraded Benz camber kit and she drives find now.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
:rofl: at the people bitching about lowered cars on country roads. Ever wondered why there are mandated limits for such things???

Reaper

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
this short article gives a good overview of the science, etc of road design, including camber and cross-slope:
Macadam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

quote: "I hate country roads in a lowerd car. But yes they slope whatever way they like ..... and have odd looking holes in them, allover them everywhere they are ****."
- obviously, someone with a lot to learn about driving .
Lowered cars are best left on dodgem tracks: there is a reason why cars have "clearance". My bitch about recent Commodores is that they're all about an inch too low.
"country roads ... slope whatever way they like" - no, they don't. Have a look, next time you venture off the Cappucino Strip.
"country roads ... have odd looking holes in them, allover them everywhere they are ****." - that's the stimulation and challenge of getting out into the Great Australian Outdoors.

There is a quote that I've seen several times on this forum, and it was what I was taught as a teenager: "drive according to the conditions." So, if your suspension is bottoming out, then drive a bit slower, or a lot slower, until you get it fixed.

For me, the whole point of having a good car is to be able to go to beautiful places.
If I can do that economically, then I can go to more places, and more often, and have more fun while I'm there.

$heepy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz tonner
ha try driving on the highway out to karoonda in sa, i would put money on that road being the worst in aus. nearly every corner is cambered the wrong way, the road is full of holes, and the undulating surface the whole way. some times even makes the work 4wds bottom out only doing 100

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I do that run a few times $heepy and I agree it's not the best road just sitting on the limit. However supposedly the toilets at Karoonda are the cleanest in Australia...........