Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do Holden Utes drive differently to regular Commodores?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hey guys, I'm in the market for another car and I'm considering a manual Holden Ute... My question is whether these cars drive differently than a regular Commodore? As I know people who have had vans said that their cars would be more affected by cross winds than a regular car... Is this true for the Utes?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Vans, utes, wagons, sedans all drive the same.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Utes are lighter in the rear, and therefore more likely to let go and the inexperienced ute driver may discover his rear wheels attempting to overtake his front wheels when travelling in a non-straight-ahead direction at above-average speeds on wet or gravel surfaces. Or just by giving it too much right foot when taking off. This can make them easier to get going on a skid pan too!

Flat deck or wellside? Not into flat decks myself - having to tie everything down plus strops singing and humming annoys me. Same reason I prefer a hardlid over a tonneau cover. Although I would possibly go for a vented canopy if I had dogs.

The older the model the worse the "Arse Walk" of the rear suspension will be. This effect, while not limited to utes (can also be experienced in wagons and sedans with buggered rear shocks) is that wonderful sensation as you are sailing at the speed limit around a long curving bend (often downhill) and upon hitting a small bump the rear suspension rises and falls resulting in the front of the vehicle now pointing a number of degrees differently than it was before the bump. The faster your speed, the higher the rear rises, the more sideways the arse walks. The joy of utes.

My VF SII (with FE2 IRS) is the only ute I've owned that doesn't arse walk at all, ever. Holden HQ/HZ, VS. Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger - all did it, no matter what perfomance/adjustable shocks/extra leaf springs were fitted

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Utes are lighter in the rear, so that means a little more caution cornering and accelerating...

Wind to a certain point can effect a ute in the rear due to the lightness, but not to the extent as a van, like you have mentioned...

So really just be more cautious with the right foot (and I'm being respectful with that comment) and you should be fine

Another area to be cautious with is overloading the ute portion and driving....This will have an effect in the front, where it will be very light to steer and can effect the ability to corner because it does lift the front up...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Flat deck or wellside? Not into flat decks myself - having to tie everything down plus strops singing and humming annoys me. Same reason I prefer a hardlid over a tonneau cover. Although I would possibly go for a vented canopy if I had dogs.

The older the model the worse the "Arse Walk" of the rear suspension will be. This effect, while not limited to utes (can also be experienced in wagons and sedans with buggered rear shocks) is that wonderful sensation as you are sailing at the speed limit around a long curving bend (often downhill) and upon hitting a small bump the rear suspension rises and falls resulting in the front of the vehicle now pointing a number of degrees differently than it was before the bump. The faster your speed, the higher the rear rises, the more sideways the arse walks. The joy of utes.
I'm looking at a base 2002 VU Manual that's been lowered a bit and is on 20 inch wheels, though the seller says that they can drop the price with the black wheels (I presume)...

Here is the link to the vehicle:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hop...6-rego-20-inch-wheels-sub-exhaust-/1306926620

1676676506030.png

1676676534774.png

There's no interior or engine pictures so I'm going off the sellers description of the car being a manual... It also has an exhaust system and I believe blacked out VZ SS wheels in the second photo... The exhaust system and lowered springs could cause problems with roadworthy in Victoria...

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hey guys, I'm in the market for another car and I'm considering a manual Holden Ute... My question is whether these cars drive differently than a regular Commodore? As I know people who have had vans said that their cars would be more affected by cross winds than a regular car... Is this true for the Utes?
You’ve answered your own question. Different body shapes and weights will affect how a vehicle handles under differing roads conditions etc.
The performance of an engine be it the same engine, gearbox, drivetrain, suspension set up etc, in a sedan, wagon, Ute or van may also vary because of their different body shapes.

Although I’ve never owned a Holden Commodore Ute, I have had a Holden Rodeo single cab Ute and a Rodeo dual cab, also a Falcon xc back in the day. I now have a Mitsubishi Triton single cab.
All these vehicles will give you a different driving experience depending on what you are carrying in the back.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have never noticed any difference but I don't drive like a cowboy so perhaps that's where the difference lies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IRS and live perform differently. IRS will be better than live but can carry less. VE utes have weight distribution similar to sedans, so don't have same issues with say VR/VS. VU being first ute to have IRS might need to watch how it handles. If shocks are worn out then yeah could have some problems. Only way to tell if worn shocks is to pull them from the vehicle, unless you have a shock testing machine available. A tight LSD will send you sideways pretty quick if not careful