Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I dare get a VY/VY II Calais as my first car?

holdencallous

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VX II Ecojet S Pack
Since you asked, here's my reply for what it's worth. You're young and looking for your first car, that's an exciting time in any persons life. A VY Calais V6 is more than acceptable as a first choice of car and I hope you find one that makes you happy. Having said that, you should learn to drive properly first, gaining experience is THE priority. You should be putting your hard earned into making sure the car is mechanically sound rather than go-faster mods. You're interested in a 15 year old car, chances are it will need a safety and reliability makeover - suspension, brakes, oil leaks, tyres, steering for starters. These are far more important than your suggestions. If you keep it completely stock and don't drive like a dick ( yes, it's hard to resist) then you will have a decent chance of avoiding the cops attention and making it to 21. I'm sure not much of this will sink in but I'm talking from experience. There was a suggestion by losh1971 to get a cams licence and play on a race track. Put you bucks towards that...….the lifetime rewards will be far greater.

I completely agree with you on the mechanical reliability mate, which is why I'm going to have a thought go over on it and replace any wary stuff (I.e oil seals, struts, whatever the **** has decided to let go), I'm saving up atleast $15,000 or so just so I have some room to throw whatever it needs into it and still have some cash left over for rego, insurance, fuel and a few go fast parts. Good idea or not?
Cheers

holdencallous

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VX II Ecojet S Pack

holdencallous

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VX II Ecojet S Pack
Your VY will go ok stock, my V6 goes plenty fine. Set of Pacies, cat back and tune will make a small improvement. Mace rockers are around 650-700 IIRC plus fitment. If you want some more launch you could regear the diff. Guess what you need to figure out is what you want to acheive? You can mod the V6 but after a while you will want an LS then when that gets boring you will want a bigger LS. If you can find happiness in what you have then you will find the V6 is quite adequate. If you want to go fast get a cams licence and learn how to race. Or get a bike racing licence and build a race bike like i have. Realistically on the streets you're limited to 100 or 110 if you're lucky. Dragging people at the lights just ends up in fines, eventually. Much more fun in comp and you'll meet a great buch of blokes who share the same passion.

All I really want is it to be a harsh enough launch to scare my sister so I can put my "pay me for rides or I'll drive like a mong" tactic into play, I'm thinking around 380-400nm if that's even possible from the ecotec haha. I'm not really concerned about high Kw numbers, I just love that launch grunt you get from 380nm+ cars

Last edited:

holdencallous

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VX II Ecojet S Pack
Whatever you change keep stocker parts in case get defected or want to transfer parts over to next car....you will want a v8 if bogan at heart.

v6 just doesn't sound as good & no matter what you spend or people say you will wish you'd wasted your dosh on a v8 in the end haha

v6 is all I can get in vic :( (for 4 years atleast), and I'm going to keep it semi-legal with my mods (**** you can't really see, I.e, diff gears, stall converter, chip, rockers, extractors, all the goodies you would need a ratchet and a few tools to see.) seeing as I have 4 years to spend with it, I'll earn whatever I spent back by a fair bit. It's just not feasible to save all of my money for 4 years and/or spend it on a car I can't even drive for that long. I'm gonna mod it but I'm still gonna save up for a beauty of a ride for when I'm 21.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
bugger spend 15k on a v6 of any description. spend 5k on a VY calais, 7k on a turn key drift car and 3k on tyres for said drift car. Way more fun.

holdencallous

Reaction score
Members Ride
'01 VX II Ecojet S Pack
bugger spend 15k on a v6 of any description. spend 5k on a VY calais, 7k on a turn key drift car and 3k on tyres for said drift car. Way more fun.
Fairly sure my mum would end my life if I was to bring 2 cars into her already cramped driveway haha

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I reckon a vy Calais is a good sensible choice of car mate as the others have said series 2 would be better, take your time looking at cars and don’t just go and buy the 1st thing you see... that’s me speaking from experience lol I used to do that at your age getting a pre purchase inspection on something your serious about buying is also money well spent so you don’t end up buying a lemon that looks good on the surface

Outbak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
The VY has nice usable torque to begin with. No need to mod it. I have both BA G220 5.4 v8 and VY Ecotec. What is on paper doesnt always translate to real world. My Ford has more torque but I am not left really wanting more for the Holden. Its an old V6 that has held up well over time.