Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I do up my 380000km commodore?

Big_willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais 3.8 v6
My auto commodore has roughly 380,000km on the clock. I'm thinking of starting to do some mods such as exhaust/coil overs etc... Is it worth even doing up or should I just get another newer one?!
If it is worth doing up. What are some recommended mods?
Cheers!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
My car was almost 200k when i got it. Not much i haven't touched really. But sometimes little things annoy me and i wish i had started with a much lower km's shell. (I have engine swapped etc, so only the body is aged)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you can find a better newer one it's going to give you better results in the end.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
VX Calais V6?

I'd say upgrade. Maybe if it was a V8 I'd say keep on it but yeah under $10k can buy you a lot of car these days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
AFAIC the VX was a pretty decent bus compared to some of the other Holden's built, hu,hm VR.... If you can do everything yourself then that would work out ok. Like someone else alluded too though at 380k there isn't much you're not going to need to replace in the next few years. I've pumped $2k into my VR Ute and it was bought for $2400 and I really need to sink another $2k into it to bring it up to scratch yet a good one would go for no more than $3k even in Tas.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Do you really like it,
get something newer just to get newer or something else you'd really like to own,
how long/kms have you owned it for ,
well maintained ,
what condition is car in, what sort of budget , what sort of mods , mild or wild,
some things you'd be modding would need replacing over time anyway eg :suspension

A friend of mine is dailying a xb falcon with running gear he fitted out of a xh falcon ute , once he worked through all the set up issues it's became a very reliable vehicle.

Bottom line is if car is already in good condition and well maintained and you like using the car still do your sensible mods and enjoy using it .

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
The comment about the VX being a decent BUS, I think the VT has it beat.
Cleaner nose and a bit less electronics to develop problems. Also significantly cheaper to insure a 2000 VT compared to a 2000 VX.

We upgraded from a VT which had a few dinged panels and scratched paint to a VX that had less dings.

There they were side by side in the driveway for a few months.

There wasn't much difference in age, but the VT metal seemed to be more resistant to rust. It had quite a few scratched and gouged panels that didn't seem too worried. The VX seems to be very obvious when it gets any kind of stone chip or scratch. Not sure what changed in less than two years of manufacturing.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IMO VT and VX were pretty decent bus', well better than VR's.... Only thing I didn't really like about them was the IRS. IMO it needs work if you want to tow heavy loads. I looked at a VT a few years back and I would have needed to spend a lot upgrading the IRS so I could tow and this was back when they were only a few years old.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
The comment about the VX being a decent BUS, I think the VT has it beat.
Cleaner nose and a bit less electronics to develop problems. Also significantly cheaper to insure a 2000 VT compared to a 2000 VX.

We upgraded from a VT which had a few dinged panels and scratched paint to a VX that had less dings.

There they were side by side in the driveway for a few months.

There wasn't much difference in age, but the VT metal seemed to be more resistant to rust. It had quite a few scratched and gouged panels that didn't seem too worried. The VX seems to be very obvious when it gets any kind of stone chip or scratch. Not sure what changed in less than two years of manufacturing.
I have never seen rust in any commodore worth talking about, my VY ute had river sand tossed in the back many a time and no rust at all in 13 years I had it, not a speck and the whole front was stone chipped badly the front bumper was like sand paper to touch, bonnet had 2 teeth marks of a wallaby and 2 smaller teeth marks of it's joey in it and I would only wax the car once a year.

XA-B-C Falcons were the worst rusting car Australia ever made and even to the last of the Falcons I would of rust proofed them for sure from new, but never a Commodore I would not bother.

Windscreen panels only rust out, only due to idiots fitting them are lacking to be diligent in what they are doing.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
rust talk aside, it ain't worth modifying. Parts alone to do anything you'll notice behind the wheel would cost more than the value of the vehicle. But if you want to spend the cash and it makes you happy just do it.