Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I Give Up On This Car?

Lil Jam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey all,

2008 VE SV6 Wagon. 191,000KM.

So the car had already been giving me some problems with stuttering a lot and sometimes it'd just start running on 5 or maybe 4 cylinders. I got it scanned and it came back with potential faults being spark plugs, ignition coils, or fuel injectors.

Then recently I was literally chased for no reason by 2 separate cars full of drunk and/or cracked out idiots at 2am. They forced my car off the road and I crashed into a little island in the middle of the road doing about 70km/h. I didn't get plates or anything so there's nothing I can really do. I've had that checked out now and they're telling me one of my control arms is cooked along with a ball joint and steering knuckle, etc. They're also telling me my front pads and rotors need to be replaced because apparently the pads aren't on correctly and the caliper is seizing.

I've been quoted $2300 for the control arm and joints, etc as well as the front pads and rotors to be replaced. Not to mention the other work that needs to be done with the spark plugs and coils, etc.

Is it even worth fixing all of this at this point or should I just sell it for what I can and buy something else that will hopefully give me less of a headache?

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@vc commodore might be able to say if that's a fair price on the suspension work. Does sound a little exi? I did mine at home with some paid help and all up it was less than that to do a full front end rebuild, including brakes.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
go to another mechanic $2300 for brakes and a control arm even if they do both of them seams a bit steep.
As they didn't say if it was plugs or coils they dont know holdens or they are parts changers and will sting you.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey all,

2008 VE SV6 Wagon. 191,000KM.

So the car had already been giving me some problems with stuttering a lot and sometimes it'd just start running on 5 or maybe 4 cylinders. I got it scanned and it came back with potential faults being spark plugs, ignition coils, or fuel injectors.

Then recently I was literally chased for no reason by 2 separate cars full of drunk and/or cracked out idiots at 2am. They forced my car off the road and I crashed into a little island in the middle of the road doing about 70km/h. I didn't get plates or anything so there's nothing I can really do. I've had that checked out now and they're telling me one of my control arms is cooked along with a ball joint and steering knuckle, etc. They're also telling me my front pads and rotors need to be replaced because apparently the pads aren't on correctly and the caliper is seizing.

I've been quoted $2300 for the control arm and joints, etc as well as the front pads and rotors to be replaced. Not to mention the other work that needs to be done with the spark plugs and coils, etc.

Is it even worth fixing all of this at this point or should I just sell it for what I can and buy something else that will hopefully give me less of a headache?

Cheers
You’re being had. This is where doing things yourself starts to be the way.

A VE will always be expensive if you get other people to work on it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For the pads, rotors and control arm...$2300 is over the top...But you do say other work...Is the other work included in the $2300 quote?

Oh and as for being chased for "no reason"....This says to me, get rid of the car....Randoms don't chase a car for no reason....It's got a target on it

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Ok, so you kept driving your car after being told plugs etc etc etc needed fixing?
Why would you do that rather than fix it may I ask?
These are items that need regular attention perhaps you don’t realize.

The other things you have done is a separate case and needs to be repaired properly and promptly.

Take that now dangerous vehicle to your local mechanic for repair now.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
At the end of the day, it's up to you but I'd probably get rid of it due to the cost to repair all of these issues... It's doable, but expensive...

Kind of unrelated but I'm pretty sure it also has the 5spd auto which is the dud of the VE range, so get out of it before it requires a rebuild...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Oh and as for being chased for "no reason"....This says to me, get rid of the car....Randoms don't chase a car for no reason....It's got a target on it
I'm also wondering what O.P is doing at 2:00 AM, and why randoms will just "run you off the road for no reason"... Maybe he does shift work or something, but who really knows?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ok, so you kept driving your car after being told plugs etc etc etc needed fixing?
Why would you do that rather than fix it may I ask?
These are items that need regular attention perhaps you don’t realize.

The other things you have done is a separate case and needs to be repaired properly and promptly.

Take that now dangerous vehicle to your local mechanic for repair now.

Some people mightn't have the cash on the spot to replace that stuff on the spot...