Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I have a rooted gearbox?

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I have just finished fitting a L67 and box. :dance:

Something is running out of alignment, I was thinking torque converter, as the vibration can be heard from bell housing the strongest, (only when car is in gear) so I went about changing to standard torque converter out of my N/A. as fair as I know they are same gearbox different torque with a higher stall ??

Just from looking at the forum’s tonight I noticed the flex plate is a different balance weight. I fitted the n/a plate simply because it seemed to be in much better condition ( next to know surface rust)

Well changing the torque didn’t help (car is still on stands, have not driven) but when in gear foot on brake still hear vibration in a circler motion, also can still here with bar on bell housing.

So now I’m thinking it’s the gearbox, maybe the shaft is bent and when engaged into converter once in gear it’s throwing everything out, and creating vibration?

I am planning on changing boxes and going back to L67 converter plate with n/a box. I reckon I could just about shoot myself if this dose not fix the problem, :bang:

Am I on the right track ??

My old box is not too bad but once I got the L67 running the box felt tighter as in shifting with selector my old box has a good 100k extra on it. ohh and there is a mighty clunk when going over a bump or winding a little power on.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you never know what you are getting when you buy crashed car engines ive seen people swap engines in front wheel drives and then they start them and the cranks snapped and the damage is nowhere near the engine they get some major forces exerted on them in a good crash ide say that box has had a good impact up the driveshaft and is a bit toast might have to try your stocker for a while

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
i have pulled the box out again. will now run L67 flex plate.

can i and should i use L67 torque converter with n/a gearbox. or is it pointless and better to run the gear i know has been working ??

i noticed a dent in the L67 torque converter todat on the gearbox side it may have got a shuve up its ars in crash from gearbox moving forward and hopefully the knock is in the box. tomorrow will tell.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
fire it up without the box and see what she sounds like.i dont know if the valve body in the auto has any mods to suit the charger or not but you may be able to make yours a lot stronger with some of the auto internals.if the flex plate is dented ide use your TC as well as flex plate.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
fire it up without the box and see what she sounds like.i dont know if the valve body in the auto has any mods to suit the charger or not but you may be able to make yours a lot stronger with some of the auto internals.if the flex plate is dented ide use your TC as well as flex plate.

no worries man, yeh im thinking safe option to use my old gear at least i know everything is right there, just making sure the box and converter will be ok with L67, i ran the engine yesterday when box was off sounded fine, the noice comes when gearbox is in gear, when i park its fine too. so im hopeing its the box now and hopefully this time ill be driving the car and not more spanners.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Good news on the gearbox today, got my old box and converter in. car is running well there now. So I might pull the pan off the other box at some stage and see what’s going on in there.

No more clunk on the drive some I guess something much have let go inside the box.

Cheers for everyone’s help with the issue.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the old owner might of thrashed it and had a bung box before it got crashed

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
i am guessing that the drive shaft has gone up the box. it will be interesting to see.