Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i have to take the engine out of the car to change camshaft bearings?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hahaha had to laugh at this thread, anyone care to explain how the cam shaft bearings are removed???

Only persons who HAVE performed the exercise need only reply.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The commodore workshop manuals (VN V6 through to VYV6) all say that to replace these cam bearings, special tools and techniques are required which place this process beyond the scope of the home mechanic, it says that to replace these bearings, the block must be removed and taken to a workshop or engine reconditioning shop..

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
The commodore workshop manuals (VN V6 through to VYV6) all say that to replace these cam bearings, special tools and techniques are required which place this process beyond the scope of the home mechanic, it says that to replace these bearings, the block must be removed and taken to a workshop or engine reconditioning shop..

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Guess i will have to leave the bearings for another day. Thanks for the info!

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Camshaft bearings are normally the last thing to wear out because the camshaft only does half as many revs as the crankshaft. If you have oil pressure problems then check the big end bearings first. it wont hurt to pull the camshaft out and check the lobes for wear if your engine is still ticking