Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i need a amp for my speakers??

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hey everyone. i have a question that i cant find that hasn't been asked, or it has and i couldn't find it... anyway i want to put a sound system into my VP and a mate said that i dont need a amp that puts out the same or more RMS watts for the speakers, is this true?? im looking at 2 sets of Alpine SPS-610 speakers and a RMS 400W Peak 1400W Pioneer TS-309D4 sub. the speakers have a RMS of 80 and peak of 240watts. i was looking at a cheap head deck from Kenwood or something and it had a 4x50 watt output, mate said that the speakers would be fine without a amp... any thoughts or is my mate nuts?? also need help on finding a amp...

I know the sub needs a amp.

Any help is great, thanks.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
You don't 'need' an amplifier for your speakers, though they will be louder, clearer and more dynamic with an amplifier. What's your budget for the sub amp?

hsvman2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
i got 6 in my vy and i don,t have a amp

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
for the whole system i dont really want to go over 700 for the whole set up... but ill be putting it in myself.

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
starting to think that i will have speakers and sub going through a amp.. is it possible?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can get a 4 channel amplifier, use the front two channels to power your front speakers and bridge the two rear channels to run your subwoofer. This is a good option if you are on a tight budget, but will give limited power to your sub.

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
You can get a 4 channel amplifier, use the front two channels to power your front speakers and bridge the two rear channels to run your subwoofer. .
so would that also power the rear speakers?? are you able to 'split' a channel? so from 1 channel you split it into 2 channels? that is if there is enough watts to share around..

Randymate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
So how much is left after the sub and speakers?

not sure, head deck is 95, sub is about 200?? speakers are 130 each so 260 maybe?? i havn't completely looked at priceing yet, mainly at what is possible. but im looking at the lower price end of the high end brands.. if that makes sense..

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So your budget is $215 for an amplifier? Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine aren't high end brands, not saying that they are crap, but aren't high end brands. For that sort of money you could go something like a Clarion XR2410, Pioneer GM-6500F (my pick) Sony XM-GTX6040 (not bad either from Autobarn or similar, you'll have that for under $200 then have to buy a cheap 8awg 4 channel wiring kit. Any 4x50wrms up to 4x85 (pioneer) amplifier, it will bridge the rear channels to around 100 - 180wrms at 4ohm. Just power the rear speakers off the headunit.