Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do I need to polish my car?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi guys,

My VZ Commodore Executive has the factory quicksilver metallic paint. I'm just wondering if I need to polish / wax it every now and then, or if this sort of paint doesn't need polishing.

If it does need polishing, which brand do you recommend, and how often should I polish it?

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
DO NOT WAX

lol

run the back of ur hand over the paint work, if it doesnt feel smooth and like glass it needs a polish.

It depends we need more info, can u see swirl marks in the paint work, are there any light scratches?

I would suggest if u dont wanna get too heavy into doing this, go buy urself Turtle Scratch and Swirl Remover, Then hit it with a Meguiar's Polish, then every month just hit it with meguiar's to keep the polish up. there is so much to do when it comes to polish it really depends how serious you want to get into it.

Oh before u do any of that wash it with 1 drop of dish washing liquid in a bucket of water, then hit it with kerosene all over, this will remove tar and other road grime, the holden paint care manual actually suggests this too, it will not hurt your paint work.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi, I'm not that serious about the polishing. Just looking for a nice shine and some protection for the paint. The car unfortunately has a few scratches that wont go away with scratch remover. I'm not sure what swirl marks look like, but the car doesn't have that perfect mirror-like shine as some of the other cars I've seen here on the forum. What other information do you need?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
All paint should be polished and waxed at least every 3 months to keep it looking like new.

Once a week I wash mine, chamois dry then apply Mothers Quick Detailer and it comes up a treat.

3 monthly I polish and wax the car. Ive found Mothers to be better than Meguires as I always used to use Meguires but found Mothers much easier to use and buff off and gives better results. My car is black so is a good example.

When your car is wet the water should bead all over the paintwork, if it just runs off it needs a polish.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Id be more inclined to say do not use dishwashing liquid as it has salt in it and we all know salt is bad for metal.

Always use wax as it seals the paint and protects it.

Polish cleans, wax seals.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yeh ive always used wax and always will, just wondering his reasoning behind why he said do not wax in caps?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Maybe he was referring to the pubic area.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
im sorry but why not wax?

Wax attracts dust, Always use a sealant or resin, but each to there own.

as per the dish washing liquid, thats why its only 1 drop.

I could also tell u i mix my own cuts and polish up out of differnt brands, depending what my car needs at the time. Each Brand has its uses, but would only recommend doing that when u sorta know what to look for in the paint work.