Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i need to respray?

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
I do not know much at all about painting cars, just want some advice on what to do about these car scratches. its for a 94 caprice.

I have a deep scratch on the bonnet where a toolbox fell off the shelves in the garage. I think it has gotten through to the metal, or at least the primer coat. there is a slight dent as well but i feel as if it were painted it would be hardly noticeable.

the other small issue is the car is covered in these small scratches or scuff marks. just from being old. a good buff, polish and wax should remove them but i am worried about how much clear coat would be removed.

what would be the best way to fix this? I was thinking to respray the bonnet, then washing/buffing the rest of the car then applying a new layer of clear coat.

Am i better off taking this to the shop to do or could i do it at home? I am fairly confident I could do it but I have no tools for the job.

Attachments

• car scratch.jpg
    car scratch.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 302
  • scratches.jpg
    scratches.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 310

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That dent in the bonnet will need fixing before paint or you will kick yourself after its painted. Metalic is tricky to get right but paying someone will be about $500 for the bonnet alone.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
You could have a crack at painting it yourself, plenty of guys with experience and advice on here, especially considering VR was still acrylic if I'm not mistaken?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I do not know much at all about painting cars, just want some advice on what to do about these car scratches. its for a 94 caprice.

I have a deep scratch on the bonnet where a toolbox fell off the shelves in the garage. I think it has gotten through to the metal, or at least the primer coat. there is a slight dent as well but i feel as if it were painted it would be hardly noticeable.

the other small issue is the car is covered in these small scratches or scuff marks. just from being old. a good buff, polish and wax should remove them but i am worried about how much clear coat would be removed.

what would be the best way to fix this? I was thinking to respray the bonnet, then washing/buffing the rest of the car then applying a new layer of clear coat.

Am i better off taking this to the shop to do or could i do it at home? I am fairly confident I could do it but I have no tools for the job.

That dent will need fixing first.

How deep are those scratches in the boot ? Too deep and no amount of buffing will fix them.

BTW, did you buy this car in Albany ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
especially considering VR was still acrylic if I'm not mistaken?

Apparently, but I can't work out why my 18 month old paint will melt with thinners if wiped over yet I can remove over-spray off the original paint and it doesn't affect it at all.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The bonnet will need to be repaired before paint.
The boot? You 'might' get away with a 3 stage paint correction.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
That boot is toast imo. You'd be lucky to cut that back and have enough clear to buff without burning through. Especially acrylic as its so much softer than 2 pac. Also for the time and effort involved...it would be easier to sand the scratches out...light prime and paint...even if you have to blend the tops of the quarters for the colour match.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
get a couple professional quotes (no obligation ones obviously). You'll get a really good idea then of everything.