Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i REALLY need shortened shocks?!

elnightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2008
My ride... 2009 VE SSV Sportswagon.

Do i really need shortened shocks?!!!
I want SSSL on the rear and SSL on the front, but i've been told to replace stock shocks with shorter ones, and also been told its a more uncomfortable ride shorter.

Do i waste money or not?
Thoughts? Just want it low ready for C4C!!!

Please keep in mind, i am a female ha! Am i just getting "fooled" into getting something i don't need because i'm a chick HA!

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
If you can afford a decent car, why cheap out on the suspension?

The lower shocks will make it ride alot better, and much safer. The springs COULD fall out.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The uncomfortable ride comes from your lower ride height. As for weather you need shortened shocks or not, it depends if you want your car to handle well or be just another wanker ripping up weeds with a car that is a mess to drive.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you can afford a decent car, why cheap out on the suspension?

The lower shocks will make it ride alot better, and much safer. The springs COULD fall out.

I'm not sure how the springs could possibly fall out of a VE unless the shock physically wasn't there

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hang on guys, this chick is asking because she's not sure if someone is just trying to pull the wool over her eyes. I don't think she's been totally ignorant like many posters are.

Yes, the ride will be less comfortable because the lower suspension will have a lot less travel which will result in a firmer ride.

Yes, you will need shorter shocks, this is because the springs you want to use a shorter so you need a shorter shock to match otherwise there is the possibility that the spring will move and come free from the spring seat causing a loss of handling and all sorts of other nasty things.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Shortened springs and standard shocks = the shocks being pounded to death in about a week.

I don't believe that's necessarily true. I bought my car with low King Springs with the stock shocks, and they were fine up until i put aftermarket shocks in (4 Months). Who knows how long before they were in there. The ride was really bouncy with a lot of body roll.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't believe that's necessarily true. I bought my car with low King Springs with the stock shocks, and they were fine up until i put aftermarket shocks in (4 Months). Who knows how long before they were in there. The ride was really bouncy with a lot of body roll.

Welcome to the world of ###ked shocks :rolleyes:

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

Standard shocks would probably be fine with just low springs, although it will handle like ****. SL or lower is a different story.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
My ride... 2009 VE SSV Sportswagon.

Do i really need shortened shocks?!!!
I want SSSL on the rear and SSL on the front, but i've been told to replace stock shocks with shorter ones, and also been told its a more uncomfortable ride shorter.

Do i waste money or not?
Thoughts? Just want it low ready for C4C!!!

Please keep in mind, i am a female ha! Am i just getting "fooled" into getting something i don't need because i'm a chick HA!

Yes.

I had standard shocks and SSSL King's and it rode terrible. If you'll willing to skimp on the shocks then maybe you shouldn't lower your car.

The springs COULD fall out.

Oh wow!! You obvisiously don't own a VE and are not qualified to answer this question. VEs have coilover's all round (coil spring over the shocks) so if impossible to have a spring fall out. They are held captive at all times